MV3 rollout and the recent Google layoffs

Hao Nguyen

Feb 1, 2023, 10:30:30 AM2/1/23
to Chromium Extensions
Hi all,

Just wondering if MV3 rollout is getting impacted by the recent Google layoffs. Will there be a change of plan (like not deprecating webRequestBlocking) or even allow for MV2 to live on?

Also, with Simeon not working at Google at more (https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/6a2KMMBGhqY), is anyone from Google checking this group any more?

Best,
Hao

Oliver Dunk

Feb 1, 2023, 1:30:59 PM2/1/23
to Hao Nguyen, Chromium Extensions
Hi Hao,

The MV3 timeline is currently paused while we spend some time considering all of the milestones there. You can read some more in Simeon's post from late last year: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/zQ77HkGmK9E/m/1EwdKKZYAQAJ. Beyond that, we haven't announced any changes to MV3 and are still continuing to work on that.

To answer your second question - I joined the DevRel team a couple of weeks ago and I'm planning to start replying to questions in this group. I haven't replied in any threads yet but I'm going to be keeping an eye on all of the activity and am looking forward to helping to pass on feedback and do what I can to help out.
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | olive...@google.com | London, GB

Simeon Vincent