Users reporting `Invalid manifest` error in CWS

Artem Harutyunyan

Jan 14, 2023, 8:03:13 PM1/14/23
to Chromium Extensions
Hi,

We are getting numerous reports from our users trying to install our extension through the Web Store that they are getting an `Invalid manifest` error. There is a modal popping up that prevents them from being able to install the extension (see attached screenshot, and sorry for poor quality). This doesn't happen to everyone, and we weren't yet able to reproduce this ourselves. We are using Manifest v3. Any clues on what this could be?

Artem.
--
Co-Founder and CTO bardeen.ai
Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 12.51.09 PM.png

Simeon Velichkov

Jan 15, 2023, 3:44:55 AM1/15/23
to Chromium Extensions, Artem
Does you extension has `commands` defined? I know an extension had this issue on Ubuntu and the owner of the extension fixed it by defining only a `default` key combination for the `suggested_key` config, instead of having a `windows` and `macosx` one. This is not related to manifest v3 btw, as the extension I am referring is still on mv2.

Stefan Van Damme

Jan 15, 2023, 7:35:09 AM1/15/23
to Chromium Extensions, simeonv...@gmail.com, Artem
Hi Artem,

That is an interesting issue. Can you check if you saved the manifest.json file on your end as UTF-8?
And there are no special characters in it.

Thanks,

Artem Harutyunyan

Jan 15, 2023, 12:58:51 PM1/15/23
to Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions, simeonv...@gmail.com
Hi,

I double checked the manifest.json, it doesn't have any special characters, and it's saved as a vanila text file:

-----
$ file -I manifest.json
manifest.json: application/json; charset=us-ascii
-----

We also do have `commands` defined in the manifest, here is what it looks like:

-----
"commands": {
    "_execute_action": {
      "suggested_key": {
        "default": "Alt+B",
        "mac": "Alt+B"
      }
    }
  },
-----

We had it in there for a very long time though and Ubuntu users installed it without a problem in the past.

Artem.

Simeon Velichkov

Jan 15, 2023, 1:10:10 PM1/15/23
to Chromium Extensions, Artem, Chromium Extensions, Simeon Velichkov, stefa...@gmail.com
So it have to be a bug then, but I can guarantee you that I couldn't install that extension on Ubuntu Linux for months with the same error about the manifest being incorrect. Here is how the maintainer fixed it in the end https://github.com/md-reader/md-reader/commit/a50db14cd53d91b46cd8ebe59a4cd116c01630fe maybe you can find more information in their issue tracker. Now I can install the extension on my end.

Barun Patra

Apr 19, 2023, 3:52:31 AM4/19/23
to Chromium Extensions, Artem Harutyunyan, Chromium Extensions, simeonv...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
Hi Artem,

Were you folks able to figure this out because a few of our users have started facing the same issue (while it does not happen with the majority of them)

Artem from bardeen.ai

Apr 19, 2023, 11:37:56 AM4/19/23
to Barun Patra, Chromium Extensions, simeonv...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
We haven't, unfortunately. Normally suggesting users to upgrade to the latest version of Chrome works.