Review replies and public visibility

Clarence Siew

8:25 PM (2 hours ago) 8:25 PM
to Chromium Extensions
Dear Chrome Web Store team (and the wider extensions dev community),

I've got an extension that I've had up for more than a year. Growth had been steady, but a month ago I made a bad decision with using the 'identity' permission. It was actually an unnecessary change as I just needed to check if the user was online/offline in order to hide/disable sync settings.

I've since removed that permission, but obviously users reacted strongly to it. I've only had one negative review about it, and I replied to the review with a full receipt of changes I was making to the project regarding privacy, including a blog link with more details.

However I noticed when loading the Chrome Web Store page for my extension in my dev account, the reply always shows up. But when I or a friend opened it in another account, the reply only appeared 50% of the time (between refreshes). Is there any reason why it doesn't consistently appear?

I could imagine that some other extension devs might have had or will have similar situations where they may have needed to share critical info as soon as possible to a wider audience or potential users. Not having it present could end up discouraging new users from trying out the extension.

I'd love your input on this issue!

Thanks

Patrick Kettner

8:27 PM (2 hours ago) 8:27 PM
to Clarence Siew, Chromium Extensions
Hi Clarence!
Would you be able to share the extension ID? Ill have the team look into it