Error downloading the updated version.

Robbi

Sep 7, 2022, 8:22:08 AM9/7/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hello folk,
sometimes I get this kind of error when an extension is updated.

err.png

This time it happened live in front of my eyes. I knew the new version was approved, I opened the browser and went to the extensions page.
Without even pressing the "update" button, the extension updated itself and the "Errors" button appeared in red.
I can assure you that I don't have any files inside the package that start with an underscore.
I don't know if that could be of any relevance, but the extension was disabled at the time.
However, the extension has not had any damage and appears to be working correctly.
It only happens with updates from the CWS.
Has anyone had this kind of experience?

Robbi

Sep 13, 2022, 4:45:50 PM9/13/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi
This error message recurs with each update.
Has anyone ever seen this error message?

Jackie Han

Sep 14, 2022, 5:37:23 AM9/14/22
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions
It could be a browser or Web Store bug. So I suggest reporting it to both Chromium bugs and CWS One Stop Support.

Robbi

Sep 14, 2022, 7:57:03 PM9/14/22
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Robbi
thanks, for now I have only contacted the CWS One Stop support.
As soon as I get a reply I will inform the group

Robbi

Sep 16, 2022, 7:44:32 AM9/16/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions
No way. The support team was quick to answer me but more than a response it was a bounce.
I was in fact diverted to this group and S.O.
Amen, we'll get over it.
In the last few days, however, I have noticed that in my manifest.json there is both "options_ui" and "options_page" and the latter would seem deprecated. Perhaps this is the origin of my problem.

Simeon Vincent

Sep 16, 2022, 11:17:05 PM9/16/22
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han
Are you trying to load an unpacked extension? If not, can you share the ID of the extension?

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Robbi

Sep 17, 2022, 7:50:15 AM9/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Robbi
Hi Simon,
It does not happen loadind unpacked extension or dragging crx file onto extension page.
It only happens with updates from CWS (and not always).
I made sure you that I don't have any file or folder inside the package that start with an underscore. I also checked for hidden/system files, which are not normally listed in an explorer window.
This happens both with the manual update (by pressing the "update" button) and with the automatic one (dictated by the browser times)
The ID of the extension is:  hifbilohhmckmnkaclpnnmepkogjcfhc
Thank you

Robbi

Oct 31, 2022, 9:15:48 AM10/31/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han
It keeps happening with both these extensions (hifbilohhmckmnkaclpnnmepkogjcfhc  and kffpbnnhonkfnnjcbgeegicphjkoenaj) but the strangest thing is that it happens always with Chrome Dev and Brave browser.

Deco

Oct 31, 2022, 10:34:19 AM10/31/22
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Jackie Han
It's likely a caching issue within the browser, updating an extension will only modify files with changed values, remove the extension from the developer panel entirely and try re-adding it again.

Cheers,
Deco

Robbi

Oct 31, 2022, 10:47:03 AM10/31/22
to Chromium Extensions, decklin...@gmail.com, Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Jackie Han, Robbi
I will try to reinstall the current version of the extension just before the next update.
Please note that I have Iron, Chrome Dev, Chrome Canary and Brave installed on my PC and the first 3 browsers are in sync with the same account.
On SRWare ron and Chrome Canary I have never had such problems.

Jackie Han

Feb 20, 2023, 9:07:57 AM2/20/23
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions
I see this error message more than one time.

2022-12-29
Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 17.08.27.png
2023-02-20
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 21.09.47.png

Cannot load extension with file or directory name _metadata. Filenames starting with "_" are reserved for use by the system.

I checked the location of extension installation: /Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions/
There are only two dictionaries that start with "_", i.e. "_locales" and "_metadata". Of course, "_metadata" is generated by Chrome or CWS, not in my source code.

But I didn't find this error message to have any real effect on the extension.

Robbi

Feb 20, 2023, 9:23:27 AM2/20/23
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Robbi
ok, now there are at least two of us having the same problem.
Maybe someone will start digging into it.
However, it doesn't always happen to me (let's say it happens once in three)
I think it's impossible, at least for us developers, to use the debugger by inserting breakpoints.

Oliver Dunk

Feb 20, 2023, 9:27:57 AM2/20/23
to Jackie Han, Robbi, Chromium Extensions
Hi Jackie,

Definitely one that would be nice to fix, as you say this is a folder generated by Chrome (specifically when using the declarativeNetRequest API), so not something you're doing wrong.

I'll make sure to flag it again with the team.
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Robbi

Feb 20, 2023, 9:29:30 AM2/20/23
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions
It would seem this issue never invalidated the service worker though.

Jackie Han

Feb 20, 2023, 9:31:25 AM2/20/23
to Oliver Dunk, Robbi, Chromium Extensions
Ok. I starred the issue. But I don't use dNR API in my extension.

Robbi

Feb 20, 2023, 9:33:21 AM2/20/23
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions
@Oliver Dunk
this kind of error message appears only during the updating from CWS (both manual or auto)

Oliver Dunk

Feb 20, 2023, 9:37:00 AM2/20/23
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han
@Jackie: Interesting. It's possible this folder is also generated by some other things. I don't know any off the top of my head but that's good to know.

@Robbi: I've also seen it for reloads on my side but thanks for the heads up. It's good to know when you're hitting this.

I'm hopeful that despite us all seeing this in slightly different places there will be one fix for all of us! Will keep the bug updated.

Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Jackie Han

Feb 20, 2023, 9:55:39 AM2/20/23
to Oliver Dunk, Robbi, Chromium Extensions
Yes, it happens when the extension updates from CWS.