MV2 between January 2023 and June 2023

James Bunch

Jul 21, 2022, 5:01:14 AM7/21/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the period of time between January 2023 and June 2023, the MV2 Sunset documentation reads "MV2 extensions no longer run in Chrome (limited enterprise exceptions)" and “Enterprise policy can let Manifest V2 extensions run on Chrome deployments within the organization.” (bold is my emphasis]

The second link leads to a pdf entitled: “Managing Extensions in Your Enterprise”.

This document details a multitude of extension management policies (Windows Registry, Windows Group Policy Editor, Google Admin console, Chrome Browser Cloud Management), but doesn’t spell out the recommended method by which an IT Team could ensure that a MV2 based extension would continue to run after January 2023 (except for the “hint” above that “Enterprise policy can let Manifest V2 extensions run…” pointing to GPO).

Greater clarity regarding the steps that need to be taken to ensure that MV2 extensions can function up until the final deadline of June 2023 would be really useful. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

James

Tomasz Ścisło

Jul 24, 2022, 10:49:45 AM7/24/22
to Chromium Extensions, james....@gmail.com
Bumping this as I didn't know that with Chrome there is this "Enterprise" extended period by 2023. I know of such extended period for Edge
.

glr...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2022, 5:51:47 AM7/25/22
to Chromium Extensions, sci...@gmail.com, james....@gmail.com
Bumping this item as well.

Is installing the extension 'organization-wise' and adding the extension to the whitelisted applications enough to allow manifest V2 extensions to run till June 2023?
Thanks.

Tomasz Ścisło

Jul 25, 2022, 1:05:57 PM7/25/22
to Chromium Extensions, glr...@gmail.com, Tomasz Ścisło, james....@gmail.com
Or maybe it is enough to "Load unpacked" extension in developer mode to run v2 till June 2023?

James Bunch

Jul 29, 2022, 5:04:09 AM7/29/22
to Chromium Extensions, sci...@gmail.com, glr...@gmail.com, James Bunch
Bumping this.

+ Does anybody have any suggestions of other routes or contacts for getting an answer on this one?

Chris Strong

Jul 29, 2022, 10:18:37 AM7/29/22
to Chromium Extensions, james....@gmail.com, sci...@gmail.com, glr...@gmail.com

I am waiting on the published guidance being updated from Google too.

The MV2 Sunset timeline make sense, if you already know that Google Chrome browsers can be managed within an organization via Chrome Browser Cloud Management.  I.e. IT Team control the settings / policies applied to each Chrome browser run on the network.

The way I understand it, there will be a policy (setting) made available in a future version of Google Chrome.  This policy will be along the lines of “continue to run MV2 extensions” and will be able to be set via Chrome Browser Cloud Management.  For the Chrome browsers that receive this policy, they will be able to continue running MV2 extensions.  If the Chrome browser has MV2 extensions switched off and the policy s not applied, then the use of MV2 extensions will be prevented.

Therefore, this is in the control of the organization running the extensions, not by developer of extensions.

Disclaimer: This is my personal understanding at the time I wrote this.

Simeon Vincent

Jul 29, 2022, 9:36:59 PM7/29/22
to Chris Strong, Chromium Extensions, james....@gmail.com, sci...@gmail.com, glr...@gmail.com
We haven't finalized plans yet, but a member of the Chrome team shared our latest thinking here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1347794#c1

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Tomasz Ścisło

Sep 17, 2022, 3:44:20 PM9/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, james....@gmail.com, Tomasz Ścisło, glr...@gmail.com, chris....@blueprism.com
Thanks Simeon!
How will this work in case of people who do not work within organization and do not have "Chrome Browser Cloud Management"?
In other words how private people can still apply this policy in their browser?
Will this be done through some chrome://flags/ ?