Updates! privacySandboxEnabled’s deprecation in favor of more granular APIs

Filipa Senra

Feb 2, 2023, 4:14:39 AM2/2/23
to chromium-...@chromium.org, Rohit Agarwal, Olesia Marukhno

Hi extension devs!

We will be deprecating chrome.privacy.privacySandboxEnabled in M111 and in its place we are introducing three new APIs to granularly control the individual privacy sandbox APIs namely Topics, Fledge, Attribution reporting and Private Aggregation:

  • chrome.privacy.websites.topicsEnabled

  • chrome.privacy.websites.fledgeEnabled

  • chrome.privacy.websites.adMeasurementEnabled

By design, you would only be able to disable the new APIs, and any attempt to turn them “on” will produce a visible error.

We are planning to fully remove the chrome.privacy.privacySandboxEnabled from M113. Please note that during the migration period:

Lastly, look out for the deprecation issue in the Chrome Devtools Issues Tab if you use chrome.privacy.privacySandboxEnabled in your extensions from M111.

We look forward to continuing to provide Chrome users with transparent and easy-to-use privacy controls,

Filipa Senra.