Wrong update_url in manifest.json

Robert Jaeger

11:06 AM (3 hours ago) 11:06 AM
to Chromium Extensions

Our dev team created a chrome extension which is hosted privately (not in Google store). It was found that a mistake was made and the Update URL in the manifest.json file is pointing to the DEV URL instead of PRD. which is causing the app not to update since the appid does not exist in the update url. The question is. Can I just replace the manifest.json file in appdata with a file that has the correct update URL? Or do I have to force a uninstall of the extension and then push it back out via GPO.

I know I can delete the extension folder and delete the reg key for it and run gpupdate and reinstall it. But this is a VDI environment with multisession desktops so not that easy. Would be a lot easier to just replace the manifest file if that works.

thank you for any help

Patrick Kettner

11:08 AM (3 hours ago) 11:08 AM
to Robert Jaeger, Chromium Extensions
You would just update the values in the manifest file. Make sure to increment the `version` and change the update_url

Robert Jaeger

11:18 AM (3 hours ago) 11:18 AM
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Robert Jaeger
ok so i have to update version in the manifest.json as well. its currently 24.3.22.1. do i just change the last digit like 24.3.22.2 ?

thank you very much again.

Patrick Kettner

11:31 AM (3 hours ago) 11:31 AM
to Robert Jaeger, Chromium Extensions
Correct! Any number that is higher than the current one will work.