How will Chrome suggest alternatives to popular MV2 extensions that will not be migrated to MV3?

Idris Cheikh

Jun 26, 2024, 6:09:09 PM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to Chromium Extensions
Hello,

Could you please provide some information on how users will be presented with suggestions for alternative extensions to replace widely used MV2 extensions that will not be migrated to MV3?

Will there be a list somewhere for users of major extensions to pick alternatives from?
Will it be manually curated?
For each major type of extensions, will there be a selection of extensions to choose from or only one suggested extension?

Will there be an option to apply to be on the list?
Will there be an option to advertise on the list?

I have been working for about two years on an extension that I intend to release very soon, and I have noticed that several similar extensions (sometimes with > 100'000 users) are not being updated regularly. One seems to be abandoned too.

I think it would be helpful for both users and developers to help them find each other. It would make the transition easier for users, and help developers to answer their needs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
Idris

Patrick Kettner

Jun 27, 2024, 1:42:45 AM (3 days ago) Jun 27
to Idris Cheikh, Chromium Extensions
Hi Idris!

Users will be shown suggestions on all MV2 extensions on the chrome web store. This started rolling out on June 3.

> Will there be a list somewhere for users of major extensions to pick alternatives from?

Every MV2 listing will have alternatives listed

> For each major type of extensions, will there be a selection of extensions to choose from or only one suggested extension?

In most cases, there are 4.

> Will there be an option to apply to be on the list?

No, there is not.

> Will there be an option to advertise on the list?

No, there will not.

best of luck!
patrick

Idris Cheikh

Jun 27, 2024, 3:13:22 AM (3 days ago) Jun 27
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Idris Cheikh
Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for the information!

Kind regards,
Idris