Firebase Remote Config with Chrome Extensions

Sam Smith

Sep 30, 2021, 7:49:58 AM9/30/21
to Chromium Extensions
Hi,

Would using Firebase Remote Config (https://firebase.google.com/docs/remote-config) be allowed and/or recommended? Has anyone tried it?

My first concern is that the ability to swap config without a review may be considered an attempt to bypass the review. If it is allowed, it would be useful to us to update basic settings (server URLs, feature flags, etc.) without re-submitting.

Additionally - if it is allowed, has anyone tried it? I'm guessing it works like a lot of backend APIs and would need to be persisted in chrome.local.storage in order to work with a service worker.

From our perspective, it would be good to decouple config from code and thus not require reviews, and as this is essentially a database I assume this pattern is OK - but I can also see how this could be considered an attempt to circumvent review.

Regards
Sam