Announcement: Chrome Web Store now supports Google Analytics 4

Stefan Van Damme

Mar 28, 2023, 2:35:36 PM3/28/23
to Chromium Extensions
Dear Developer,

We're excited to announce that the Chrome Web Store Developer Dashboard now supports Google Analytics 4 (GA4). We've simplified setting up Google Analytics with a new flow in the Developer Dashboard.

Access management for group publishers is also now more straightforward. For individuals in group publishers, Chrome Web Store ensures that all members of the group publisher can access the Google Analytics dashboard for that item. Members removed from the group publisher will no longer be able to view the analytics associated with the items in the group publisher.

If you previously used Google Universal Analytics to track your store listing activity, you will need to take action by July 1, 2023 to ensure that you continue receiving data about your store listing.

A button has been added to the Developer Dashboard to set up GA4 tracking for your Chrome Web Store item. The button starts a flow that will guide you through the creation process.

Until July 1, 2023, you'll be able to use both Universal Analytics and GA4 simultaneously. On that date, support for Universal Analytics will be removed from the Developer Dashboard.

Thank you for your cooperation and for your participation in the Chrome extension ecosystem.

- The Google Chrome Web Store team

Source: Chrome Web Store Developer email newsletter.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Hidemitsu Hashimoto

Mar 29, 2023, 7:09:52 AM3/29/23
to Chromium Extensions, Stefan Van Damme
Hi peoples.

Do you know if now GA4 has support to Chrome Extension Manifest V3?

Ewelina Łapińska

Mar 29, 2023, 7:11:31 AM3/29/23
to Chromium Extensions, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
Is it possible to create GA4 stream for chrome web store BUT on existing account?

Now, when the blue button for GA4 is clicked, new account is created - and what is more uncomfortable, there is no enough permission to it.

Harpaul Sambhi

Mar 30, 2023, 12:48:45 PM3/30/23
to Chromium Extensions, Ewelina Łapińska, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme, Nick Lafferty
+1 to what Ewelina said. Or at the very least, can we add users (e.g. non-developers in marketing who look at traffic) to the GA property that is linked to the CWS asset?

Homey

Mar 31, 2023, 5:33:37 AM3/31/23
to Chromium Extensions, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
+1 about manifest v3 and GA4

среда, 29 марта 2023 г. в 15:09:52 UTC+4, Hidemitsu Hashimoto:

Behnam Azimi

Apr 16, 2023, 6:37:45 AM4/16/23
to Chromium Extensions, Homey, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
I'm still not able to initialize GTM in my extension because of the Content Security Policy.

Cuyler Stuwe

Apr 16, 2023, 11:59:20 AM4/16/23
to Chromium Extensions, Behnam Azimi, Homey, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
I saw "Chrome Web Store now supports..." and I got my hopes up that it was maybe "multiple versions with rollback" or "cancellable submissions".

Simeon Vincent

Apr 17, 2023, 3:39:06 PM4/17/23
to Cuyler Stuwe, Chromium Extensions, Behnam Azimi, Homey, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
I saw "Chrome Web Store now supports..." and I got my hopes up that it was maybe "multiple versions with rollback" or "cancellable submissions".

Some day 🤞🤞

I'm still not able to initialize GTM in my extension because of the Content Security Policy.

This announcement is about using GA4 in your item Chrome Web Store listings, not loading Google Analytics libraries in extensions.

Simeon - @dotproto

David Vallejo

Apr 17, 2023, 8:07:42 PM4/17/23
to Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions
I was testing the current GA4 integration and I can't understand why instead of letting us to provide our measurement I'd, we are adding to a global account, where we cannot configure anything

- We cannot have it along with our company account properties
- Data retention is set to 2Months
- Cannot enable BQ integration
- Can barely configure anything to improve the tracking or make it match our standards

Besides from the tracking seems to be done server-side which makes impossible to understand how things are being tracked. Is there gonna be any information on this? ,

There are some extra parameters coming through the events, like the. CWS country or language which are not setup as dimensions, can we have some information about the current data available on the events?

Another issue is that this seems to be configure as a sub-property on GA4 ( just guessing), which creates some big troubles on the reported data.

1- seeing session data that belongs to other extensions depending on the queried dimensions scopes and metric
2 - there are 4 events, with 1 URal and cardinality is all around each time you cross dimensions.

Some events seems to be not well-formed ( or there's some issues with the data ) like for example all page_view events not having a hostname?

I really want to understand how this is tracked because actually is has to understand any numbers shown on GA4.

And I still think it would be great allowing users to add our stream measurement ids for being able to own our data and have a full GA 4 features.

It's nice having the integration and seeing metrics, but these should be reliable, it should be clear how they are collected and I really think data should belong to the extension owner, rather than the current approach.

David

Harpaul Sambhi

Apr 17, 2023, 8:13:58 PM4/17/23
to David Vallejo, Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions
+1 to what David said. This experience is really confusing for us as we have marketers that don't have access to this view since they aren't extension developers. We now need to add more users to our extension, which creates more issues for security reasons.  This is not a well planned out strategy.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chromium Extensions" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-extensions/CA%2BjARGxJ99YA72bxwB1FE-uR610TZ3-fCqh7ji_u7HF14QTZTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Marina Guastavino

May 15, 2023, 7:07:34 AM5/15/23
to Chromium Extensions, Ewelina Łapińska, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme
This exact same thing happened to me.

I've been talking to google support for over a month, and no straightforwards answer. They do not understand the issue at all.
The only thing I was able to get out of them was that it is not possible to use and existing analytics  account.

I still cannot get full permission access either. If anyone makes any headway in that sense, please share!

วิทยา พาเหลี่ยม

May 15, 2023, 7:12:24 AM5/15/23
to Marina Guastavino, Chromium Extensions, Ewelina Łapińska, Hidemitsu Hashimoto, Stefan Van Damme

ในวันที่ จ. 15 พ.ค. 2023 18:08 Marina Guastavino <mar...@getdirecto.com> เขียนว่า:

fxtrade

Jul 7, 2023, 1:43:35 PM7/7/23
to Chromium Extensions, Stefan Van Damme
Dear Stefan,

We are currently not administrators for the auto-created property within the Chrome Webstore. Consequently, we are unable to add a service account user, restricting our access to the Analytics beta V1 real-time API.

Frankly, this GA4 migration has been a significant challenge for us as Chrome developers. We strongly suggest that you enable us to add a service account user inside the auto created properties. Alternatively, it would be even more helpful if we could set our own GA4 property within the Chrome Webstore.

Thank you for considering our feedback and request.

Best Regards,

Walter

Stefan Van Damme

Jul 7, 2023, 2:03:02 PM7/7/23
to Chromium Extensions, fxtrade, Stefan Van Damme
Hi Walter,

|| Frankly, this GA4 migration has been a significant challenge for us as Chrome developers. We strongly suggest that you enable us to add a service account user inside the auto created properties. Alternatively, it would be even more helpful if we could set our own GA4 property within the Chrome Webstore.
I wish I could do that to improve this experience. ;-)
I am not a Google employee, but you can send your feedback to Oliver, a Google Developer Relations engineer, to help enhance the Chrome Web Store platform.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

William A.

Jul 7, 2023, 2:43:44 PM7/7/23
to Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions, fxtrade
 I see that many people here have problem sharing your google analytics account with marketers and other users.

You can get around it by creating a Google Datastudio (Lookerstudio) dashboard and then sharing the chrome extension data with it by connecting Google Analytics. Then you can share the datastudio link with your team without giving them access to the chrome extension account. This worked great for us.

This does not solve all the problems, but thought it will be helpful for others.

Regards
William