Fwd: Monetization For Your Extension

PhistucK

Jun 18, 2022, 1:49:27 PM6/18/22
to Chromium-extensions
I got the e-mail below. While it does not say it is from Google, it is fishy. Going to chrome-extensions.uk redirects to the web store.
For your information.

PhistucK

Jun 18, 2022, 10:28:18 PM6/18/22
to Chromium Extensions, PhistucK
I've got dozens of those emails over the years. They always offer either to buy your extension or to monetize it by adding a piece of Javascript to it.
I never delete their messages so I can observe the pattern in them and detect when new messages are from the same people. For example,  they've used different domain names over the years. Such as:

Also, their email addresses always use single names such as:
beth
diana
joshua
julia
katie
leo
leonard
maria
martin
peter
rebecca
vicky
viky
victoria

I once asked them what modifications do I have to make to my extension. And they replied with this:

 "chrome_settings_overrides": {
        "search_provider": {
            "name": "Extension Name",
            "keyword": "Extension Name",
            "search_url": "https://ntsmartfinder.com/?n=20&q={searchTerms}",
            "favicon_url": "https://ntsmartfinder.com/favicon.ico",
            "encoding": "UTF-8",
            "is_default": true
        }
    },

So it's immediately obvious what they are doing; they use your extension to get every search text the user enters in the omnibox.