PSA: Ask your questions about the Chrome Web Store

Patrick Kettner

Aug 13, 2024, 4:01:01 PMAug 13
to Chromium Extensions

Hey y'all!

We are following up our interview with the Review team with another interview with members of Chrome Web Store management and planning. This will be another video for the Chrome for Developers YouTube channel so we can share more about the Chrome Web Store future and features. We were thrilled with the questions y'all sent in last time, so I humbly ask again for you to share any and all questions you may have about the Chrome Web Store - we’d love to hear them! Please feel free to share them below and we will pick some to ask on the day.

Thanks,

Patrick on behalf of Chrome Extensions DevRel

Rui Conti

Aug 13, 2024, 4:41:29 PMAug 13
to Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions
It would be great to learn more about how the percentage rollout distribution works.

Patrick Kettner

Aug 13, 2024, 4:46:48 PMAug 13
to Rui Conti, Chromium Extensions
For sure! If you have specifics you’d like to know more about, or features you’d like to see added or changed to it, would love to hear it

Rui Conti

Aug 13, 2024, 5:10:19 PMAug 13
to Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions
Fundamental questions:
1. From which sample pool does the store reference to implement the % of users it is sending the update trigger to? e.g., say I publish a release for 10% of users, is it 10% of users out of all active installations, or is it 10% of active users — users whose clients are connecting to the update servers and being sampled?
   - Related question:  Is the treatment group dynamic or static? i.e., is the 10% fixed for all percentage rollouts? e.g., 10% of 1.0.0 and 10% of 1.1.0 are (roughly) the same set users. FWIW I know it can't be really static, but I'm interested in the attribution mechanism.
2. A follow-up from above: how does the active sampling happen to select users that are in the treatment group?  Specifically, it would be helpful to learn precisely how the system works — which heuristics it uses.

Features that would be useful:
1. Being able to replace a currently partially rolled out version e.g., version 1.0.0 is rolled out to 10%, I'd want to publish an update -- 1.0., that also targets the same 10%, without having to perform a rollback and forward fix.

Ken Morse

Aug 14, 2024, 8:49:57 AMAug 14
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner
The identity verification process currently seems very much oriented toward individual developers and not so much companies. For example, currently only a mobile phone number can be published (not a company's main number) and the verification documents seem oriented toward individuals rather than companies. I'll note here that Google's Play team has sorted out verification for both individuals and companies so they may be a good source of information.

What is the Chrome Web Store team doing going forward to also support companies?

See also:

Thanks,
Ken

fixanoid

Aug 14, 2024, 3:57:25 PMAug 14
to Chromium Extensions, Ken Morse, Patrick Kettner
Hi Patrick, thanks for linking a highly useful video.

I do think that statement made here: https://youtu.be/BHIZUT_m7AM?si=4V9jOEM4j4xldcq4&t=2640 regarding developers being able to reply to review is a bit iffy -- the original person leaving the review is never notified of the fact that a developer has replied to them and therefore never comes back to address or otherwise re-engage with the extension. I truly wish this was fixed via emailing the user about it of whatever other manner is deemed appropriate.