Duplicate service workers with manifest v3

Samala Kranthi

May 16, 2023, 7:26:56 AM5/16/23
to Chromium Extensions
I am facing this issue where duplicate service workers are created. During this stage post messages don't reach service worker at all. Does any one have any idea on why this happens and do we have a way to stop this.

Oliver Dunk

May 16, 2023, 7:40:05 AM5/16/23
to Samala Kranthi, Chromium Extensions
Hi Samala,

We've definitely seen some reports of behaviour like this, but haven't been able to reproduce.

Is this something you are seeing rarely or are you able to share an extension where this happens fairly often?
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 12:27 PM Samala Kranthi <mekran...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am facing this issue where duplicate service workers are created. During this stage post messages don't reach service worker at all. Does any one have any idea on why this happens and do we have a way to stop this.

Samala Kranthi

May 16, 2023, 10:19:37 AM5/16/23
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions, Samala Kranthi
Hi Oliver,

This rarely happens and there are no systematic steps which can be followed in order to reproduce this issue. Is it possible to add some logging in our code for when two services workers are detected.

And is it possible to do performance recording it seems to be completely disabled for extensions, this could help us debug some issues which face.

Uladzimir Yankovich

May 16, 2023, 10:26:20 AM5/16/23
to Chromium Extensions, Samala Kranthi, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions
This bug is 1.5 years old. It remains only to pray. Most often, our users encounter it when updating the extension.

Samala Kranthi

May 16, 2023, 11:07:53 AM5/16/23
to Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Samala Kranthi, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions

Here it is.

Capture.PNG

Oliver Dunk

May 17, 2023, 5:08:46 AM5/17/23
to Samala Kranthi, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich
Thanks for the extra information, it's unfortunate that this isn't reproducible.

I don't think there's anything specific you can add in logging right now, but if you find a way to get in to this situation then please do let us know.

On our side there are a few stability bugs that we're keeping an eye on and trying to investigate, this one included. I'm really hopeful we can get to the bottom of them.

Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Jordi Salvat i Alabart

May 17, 2023, 10:07:15 AM5/17/23
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Samala Kranthi
What's the ticket in bugs.chromium.org? I've not been able to find it...

El dia dimecres, 17 de maig de 2023 a les 11:08:46 UTC+2, Oliver Dunk va escriure:

Oliver Dunk

May 17, 2023, 10:39:30 AM5/17/23
to Jordi Salvat i Alabart, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Samala Kranthi
I'm actually not seeing one for multiple service workers specifically - you could open a new one, but I'm slightly hesitant to do that since once we fix some of the other bugs we may find that it is the same problem. But not against it.

Here's an example of one of the more active ones that is definitely still on our minds: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1271154

Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Uladzimir Yankovich

May 17, 2023, 10:58:57 AM5/17/23
to Oliver Dunk, Jordi Salvat i Alabart, Chromium Extensions, Samala Kranthi
Yes, this is our ticket. When we created it, the error was reproduced stably and easily. But, unfortunately, at that moment we were the pioneers of V3 and no one wanted to pay attention to this problem.
--
Uladzimir Yankovich,
Founder @ Manganum (manganum.app).

Don Schmitt

May 25, 2023, 4:48:05 PM5/25/23
to Uladzimir Yankovich, Oliver Dunk, Jordi Salvat i Alabart, Chromium Extensions, Samala Kranthi
We were experiencing this frequently in early December, but since we weren't able to find a reliable way to reproduce it we did not enter a bug  at crbug.com.  It seemed to go away later in December.  Not entirely sure if that was due to changes that we added or a Chromium update.