Permission with warning

Browser Extenstion

May 22, 2022, 3:37:45 PMMay 22
to Chromium Extensions
Hi folks!

I have an extension in the store that asks for permission with warning (it doesn't matter which one).
I want to update the extension and remove the permission from "permissions" to "optional_permissions".

So the question is what expected behavior for exists users?

Robbi

May 22, 2022, 6:10:47 PMMay 22
to Chromium Extensions, Browser Extenstion
You can verify by yourself.
create first a simple ext with that permission in "permissions" section.
create a crx package with your .pem file
install the ext dragging the .crx file in chrome://extensions page

Then create a second version of that ext with that permission in "optional_permissions" section.
create a crx package with the same .pem file
install the new version dragging the .crx file in chrome://extensions page.

Now you can verify if you have keep that privilege from previous version or if the updating process has stolen it.
I would bet (no more than a penny) that old users keep the privilege already acquired.
Let us know