Need Help updating to Manifest V3 - Service_Worker

Joseph Recendez

Sep 30, 2022, 1:56:48 PM9/30/22
to Chromium Extensions

I inherited the a extension that is used internally on Chromebooks to pass authentication to a web server for the currently logged in user. The extension itself works fine as is right now with manifest V2 but we are trying prepare for manifest v3 and are having issues getting the extension to fire.

Here is an example of the extension as it is currently setup.

Manifest File

Link to Code

Background File

Link to Code

From what I have read to update this you need to move from "background page" to using a "service worker"

We need to the authentication that is happening in the current background.min.js file to happen on boot / extension install. I have been reading and it looks as though using the chrome.alarms is the way to go.

I have updated the manifest file

Manifest File

Link to Code

and updated the background.min.js file

Background File

Link to Code

I am able to get the extension to install but it appears that the function in the background script is not running. I am a more of a systems guy and am more comfortable with PowerShell. This fell in my lap but I am very interested in figuring this out. Any help would be appreciated.