Add a "Support (Author)" panel on CWS listing page?

Jackie Han

May 25, 2023, 1:58:20 PM5/25/23
to Chromium Extensions
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 01.28.23.png
What does "Support" mean in the image above? Do I support you, or do you support me?
In the past, I really saw a developer set the "Support" link to his own GitHub Sponsor page.

A few days ago, a developer (Chris) mentioned a case of violating policies:
  • Reason for taken down: Inaccurate Description - Missing info:
  • Violation reference ID: Red Potassium
  • Violation: Item's description does not mention the following functionality: "Donate Feature"
  • How to rectify: Update your item's description to describe all functionality or remove the corresponding source code from the package
Obviously, donations cannot be the single purpose or a functional feature of an extension. To avoid violating this policy, I think it would be better to add a "Support (Author)" tab next to "Support (Users)" tab.

Compared to other app stores, CWS does not have built-in support for payment and subscriptions. And most extensions on CWS are free. I think adding a "support author" feature should be beneficial to the health of the extension ecosystem.

The above is just a proposal, I don't care if it will be implemented.

Jackie Han

Uladzimir Yankovich

May 25, 2023, 5:20:03 PM5/25/23
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han
Too close to the "Remove from Chrome" button 🤣

Jackie Han

May 26, 2023, 12:38:49 AM5/26/23
to Uladzimir Yankovich, Chromium Extensions
Too close to the "Remove from Chrome" button 🤣
It doesn't matter really. What matters is what kind of ecosystem you think is healthy and sustainable.

On some popular videos or articles websites and apps, users can support their favorite videos and authors or earn a share from video ads. The same is true for extensions.