Predeployment Extension Configuration

Rey Garcia

Sep 17, 2021, 5:57:31 PM9/17/21
to Chromium Extensions
Hi Everyone,

The Problem:
I have multiple enterprises using my extension but user adoption within those enterprises is hard to get because the employees do not know that it was deployed by their IT team. They think it is just some random extension that landed on their machine.

Potential Solution:
I would like to see if it is possible to put some sort of configuration file or application on the users machine as part of the IT Deployment Process that the extension can read to either identify the user a head of time or at least identify the enterprise so that I can white label the extension and give the user confidence that the extension is not malicious.

Thoughts:
I might be able to accomplish this with NativeMessaging but I am not sure if there is something simpler that I am missing. I simple configuration json file maybe?

If anyone has had any experience with this I would love your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rey Garcia