Unable to launch SSO window using launchWebAuthFlow

raghu vittal

May 23, 2023, 9:21:48 AM5/23/23
to Chromium Extensions
Hi all,

we have migrated our extension from v2 to v3 and it was working well till now. with the recent Chrome upgrades, the extension was broken all of a sudden.

we are launching a custom adfs window from our extension using the below code.
we observe window launched with adfs content and it is closed automatically with the exception as "The user did not approve access"
await chrome.identity.launchWebAuthFlow({ url: authUrl,
         interactive: true,
        }).then();

Oliver Dunk

May 23, 2023, 9:43:26 AM5/23/23
to raghu vittal, Chromium Extensions
Hi Raghu,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

I'm not personally familiar with ADFS, but I know we recently made some changes to the type of windows launchWebAuthFlow opens. Can you think of a way that could be related?

You can check by going to chrome://flags and searching for "Web Authentication Flow in Browser Tab". Try the different options there (including disabled) and let me know if it helps. You'll need to restart your browser before testing each time you change the setting.

Thanks,
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

raghu vittal

May 23, 2023, 10:18:50 AM5/23/23
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions, raghu vittal
Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the quick response.

Enabling "Web Authentication Flow in Browser Tab" in chrome://flags works for me. But do we have any way to enable it across all users via GPO?
we have this extension deployed in hundreds of machines we cannot ask users to enable them. Any quick way to enable it to unblock all users.

Or

Can we suggest any code implementation to launchWebAuthFlow in the new window?

Regards,
Raghu

Oliver Dunk

May 23, 2023, 1:46:01 PM5/23/23
to raghu vittal, Chromium Extensions
Hi Raghu,

Can you check if "Disabled" works too?

That will be useful in knowing if the change we made recently was a breaking one.