MV2 to MV3 migration testing on chrome store with data migration

Ahmed Rafi Ullah

2:59 AM (3 hours ago) 2:59 AM
to Chromium Extensions
Hi, I work on an extension that is MV2 and an experimental MV3 variant of it, both of them are published on the webstore. I need to test mv2 to mv3 upgrade path.

My problem is this i want to test this but without messing up my mv2 extension. I would need some users to install the mv2 extension and then let them upgrade to the mv3 version.

These users are internal for QAing the upgrade path. Once its good to go i'll then publish mv3 build to the main mv2 extension store listing.

Is this possible ? can i have two mv2 listings of the same extension and then publish the mv3 build to the one i want to test the upgrade path on ?

Oliver Dunk

3:03 AM (3 hours ago) 3:03 AM
to Ahmed Rafi Ullah, Chromium Extensions
Hi Ahmed,

Publishing two versions of the same MV2 extension should be possible but you'll want to be mindful of our "Spam and Abuse" policy: https://developer.chrome.com/docs/webstore/program-policies/spam-and-abuse. If you publish the testing extension making it clear in the title and description that it is for internal testing, you should be ok. I would also suggest keeping the visibility as unlisted or private.

There are also some more local options for testing (loading the MV2 extension unpacked, replacing the files on disk with the MV3 version, and reloading) as well as the Extension Update Testing Tool but these are unlikely to be what you want if you are testing with a larger group.

Thanks,
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB