Changes in bookmarks 🤔?

Uladzimir Yankovich

Aug 14, 2024, 5:00:18 AMAug 14
to Chromium Extensions
Our extension stores some content in the browser bookmarks in the Other Bookmarks directory. Some users have started calling this section All Bookmarks, but only in the bookmarks panel; in the manager, it still calls Other Bookmarks — https://gang.manganum.app/3TnS0CyK 🙈.

This week, several of our users complained that our extension is broken. Judging by the screenshots in their browsers, the Other Bookmark folder ID is no longer = 2, as it always was.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Payel

Aug 15, 2024, 10:37:27 AMAug 15
to Uladzimir Yankovich, Chromium Extensions

👍

Oliver Dunk

Aug 16, 2024, 8:13:26 AMAug 16
to Payel, Uladzimir Yankovich, Chromium Extensions
Hi both,

There were some recent changes that we're currently determining the impact of.

You can follow along here: https://issues.chromium.org/360160839

Thanks for your patience,
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Alexander Ostapenko

Aug 27, 2024, 4:19:52 AMAug 27
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Uladzimir Yankovich, Chromium Extensions, Payel

It seems that all users bookmark IDs are periodically changing. In my extension, users reports for example, the app was originally linked to a folder with ID 183, but after Chrome updates, it crashes because the ID of this folder has changed to 93.

пятница, 16 августа 2024 г. в 14:13:26 UTC+2, Oliver Dunk:

Oliver Dunk

Aug 29, 2024, 7:45:32 AMAug 29
to Alexander Ostapenko, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Payel
Hi Alexander,

Could you expand on what behavior you're seeing?

I can definitely understand how this would cause issues, but it shouldn't cause a process or browser crash.

Thanks,
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Alexander Ostapenko

Aug 29, 2024, 8:22:07 AMAug 29
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Payel, Alexander Ostapenko

Hi Oliver,

When I mentioned a crash, I was referring to an exception in the extension that occurs when it tries to access a bookmark category by an ID that no longer exists.

This issue occurs not because the user manually deleted the category, but because the ID of the category has changed.

 For example:

Other bookmarks -> extension_folder -> some bookmarks / folders

In the extension, I store the ID of extension_folder and also the IDs of some bookmarks / folders. However, after some time, the extension stops being able to correctly access extension_folder or some bookmarks / folders because the ID of extension_folder or any other folder changes.

I have a workaround where I locate the folder for my extension by its “title” and restore the relations using the new IDs, but this approach is not practical for long-term development. Users are still experiencing instability in the extension.

I can add logging on my side to gather more information when an ID mismatch occurs, which might help us better understand at what stage or how often this happens.

четверг, 29 августа 2024 г. в 13:45:32 UTC+2, Oliver Dunk:

Oliver Dunk

Aug 29, 2024, 10:01:57 AMAug 29
to Alexander Ostapenko, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Payel
Thanks, that extra context is helpful.

At the moment I don't have any updates, but I've just asked if we can try to figure out the next steps here. We'll definitely keep the Chromium bug updated so if you haven't already I'd suggest starring that.

Apologies again for the lack of heads up about this change. I know that's frustrating.
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB

Message has been deleted

Alexander Ostapenko

Aug 29, 2024, 10:38:41 AMAug 29
to Chromium Extensions, Oliver Dunk, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Payel, Alexander Ostapenko
Great Oliver! I'm glad to see progress on resolving the issue!

I’ve written a detailed investigation on this bug today in the Chromium issues.

In the next few days, I’ll add a metric to my extension to track how many users are affected and to monitor when the fix is implemented to ensure it works.

четверг, 29 августа 2024 г. в 16:01:57 UTC+2, Oliver Dunk:

Oliver Dunk

Aug 29, 2024, 10:41:27 AMAug 29
to Alexander Ostapenko, Chromium Extensions, Uladzimir Yankovich, Payel
Thanks Alexander!

Just to let you know, I'm not sure the memory issues you mentioned are the cause of this. We made some intentional changes to the handling of bookmark IDs and this is almost certainly at least part of why the IDs are changing in newer versions of Chrome. That does make this harder to fix, as it was a somewhat intentional change, but we definitely want to mitigate the impact to extension developers as much as possible.
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB