Further fundamental changes to mv3

Stefan Ruska

Jan 21, 2023, 10:52:12 AM1/21/23
to Chromium Extensions
Dear team,

have just finished migrating my plugin to manifest v3 and would like to know if there are any substantial changes still planned that could invalidate my plugin further (and incur extra effort later-on)

Thanks Stefan

wOxxOm

Jan 21, 2023, 6:36:49 PM1/21/23
to Chromium Extensions, stefan...@gmail.com
The only upcoming big change AFAIK is that site permissions will be optional by default i.e. if your extension wants to run content_scripts or make network requests it won't be able to do so unless the user has explicitly agreed to grant all requested permissions when installing the extension (I guess this will be discouraged) or after the user customized site access for the extension in the browser's UI. This predecessor of this feature was already present in ManifestV2 as optional permissions. In Firefox's implementation of ManifestV3 it's the only mode at least currently. Judging by the Chromium source code the relevant UI is still in development. Extensions that access the current page only after the user invoked the extension won't be affected.

Simeon Velichkov

Jan 22, 2023, 4:09:23 AM1/22/23
to Chromium Extensions, wOxxOm, stefan...@gmail.com
Lets hope that new UI for managing the allowed origins gets revamped too as it is too quirky/simplistic as it is right now, actually ever since it was introduced for the first time. I have an extension that has a UI for managing the allowed origins through an options page since 2016, long before we got that sort of UI inside the extension's management page as well. Requesting access to all sites has always been the 'default' unfortunately, either because developers didn't care, Google did not enforce good practices, or users did not care/understand the severity of this permission, or maybe all at the same time .. I think this will limit the third-party tracking services that some developers employ for profit, but I may be wrong about that, though you can always ask for access to all sites and any other permission afterwards.

Stefan Ruska

Jan 22, 2023, 4:59:59 PM1/22/23
to Chromium Extensions, simeonv...@gmail.com, wOxxOm, Stefan Ruska
Thanks guys!
Is there any feature roadmap publicly available for plugin support in chrome? MV2 timeline is available on developer.chrome.com   but was not able to see future plans with mv3.
Cheers, Stefan

Anton “mrTin”

Jan 23, 2023, 3:35:46 AM1/23/23
to Chromium Extensions, stefan...@gmail.com, simeonv...@gmail.com, wOxxOm
Hi everyone!

Am i right assuming that this optional site permissions won't affect enterprise extensions installed by ForceInstall GPO key? So will it be still possible to grant <all_sites> permission by domain administrator?

Thanks!

Stefan Van Damme

Jan 23, 2023, 3:47:28 AM1/23/23
to Chromium Extensions, antk...@gmail.com, stefan...@gmail.com, simeonv...@gmail.com
Hi Stefan,

|| have just finished migrating my plugin to manifest v3
Great.

|| Is there any feature roadmap publicly available for plugin support in chrome?
Most extensions news can be found here:
In a future Chrome update, developers will be able to create a sidebar as a Chrome extension in the Google Chrome web browser. See the session on this page.

Thanks,

wOxxOm

Jan 23, 2023, 6:37:32 AM1/23/23
to Chromium Extensions, antk...@gmail.com, stefan...@gmail.com, simeonv...@gmail.com, wOxxOm
> Am i right assuming that this optional site permissions won't affect enterprise extensions installed by ForceInstall GPO key?

I guess so. Otherwise such enterprise extensions would be useless.