Internationalization made by the store

Robbi

May 25, 2023, 6:45:49 AM5/25/23
to Chromium Extensions
It would be cool if the store, on developer demand, automatically created all message.json files needed for the internationalization.
During publishing, the developer selects a certain number of checkboxes corresponding to the various idioms and the store creates the entire "_locales" folder (taking the "message.json" file specified in the "default_locale" section of the manifest as a reference for all translations).
Obviously it would be a tool to be used with the utmost caution given the unpredictable effects of the unverified translation and the possible layouts that would emerge from it since some sentences framed in the same spaces (i.e. html tag) could overflow.

If the automatic creation and insertion of this folder in the package were a very bold-risk feature, it could still think of a help tool (internal or external to the store)
that would generate this structure to be downloaded and manually reviewed by hand.

For those who handle 2-3 languages (even at school level) it would be a great tool that would save a lot of time because a visual review certainly takes less time than a complete translation from scratch.

What are you saying?
It would increase the visibility of our extensions.

Patrick Kettner

Jun 5, 2023, 1:16:59 PM6/5/23
to Robbi, Chromium Extensions
Hi Robbi!
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I am not 100% sure I fully understand, however. Are you wanting the store to generate arbitrary translations for you?

patrick

Robbi

Jun 5, 2023, 2:21:50 PM6/5/23
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Robbi
Yes, you understood well,
in practice the main message.json file would be read item by item and the values associated with the "message" properties should be translated into the desired language(s).
I've seen extensions translated into 50 languages in the store. I don't think there is anyone in the world who knows 50 languages and who has the desire to create 50 folders\files with multiple translations.
So, either we ask our users to voluntarily help us translate into their own language or we use a tool that take advantage of a translation API.
We could also think of an MS Excel worksheet where we set the JSON structure of the main file and a vba macro that will do the hard work for us (ie it will use an API to generate all the files).
Of course one could also think of an extension that does this as well :-)
Frankly I don't think the above extensions translated into 50 languages are also translated well and the result should be largely revised.
Maybe many users don't care about a ridiculous translation.

Robbi

Jul 14, 2023, 6:05:29 PM7/14/23
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions
It would be very useful if an extension like "Google Translate" (developed by Big G) could inject its content script to the pages of other extensions through its function "translate this page".
In this way our extensions would be translated through a simple user gesture.

Robbi

Jul 15, 2023, 7:49:14 AM7/15/23
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions
Oops, I realized that in the Chrome default context menu there is a "Translate into ..." that works on the extension pages as well  (and is not related to the Google Translate extension).