Chrome does not show translation tool bar.

Richard Ryu

May 28, 2013, 10:43:21 PM5/28/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi there.

Once I update the chrome browser,
The automatic translation tool bar does not display.

So I need to check my translate option, It was fine.

Setting > Show advanced settings... > Languages > Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language I read

I tried to translate on popup menu, "translate to English".
However the result of my action was failed because of
"The translation failed because the page's language could not be determined."
message appeared.

Do you have any idea to resolve my case?

This problem happen to me after updating chrome the version of "27.0.1453.94 m"

Can you give me an advice for this?

PhistucK

May 29, 2013, 2:49:19 PM5/29/13
to doohwa...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
When is the language of the page?

PhistucK

Tony Russell

Jul 18, 2013, 5:30:28 PM7/18/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
I have the same problem, but it's only some pages or sites that are affected.

Seems the toolbar doesn't show up automatically because Chrome can't detect the language and hence doesn't realize it might need to be translated.

In this particular case, I am unable to translate some Portuguese websites, such as http://www.uol.com.br/ and http://www.buscape.com.br/.

These pages translate fine when dragging the URL into translate.google.com, so it must be an issue with Chrome.

PhistucK

Jul 19, 2013, 5:32:39 AM7/19/13
to xxxrai...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
- uol shows the infobar for me
- buscape does not show an infobar. Though, I can right click and select "Translate to English". While it does translate the page, it also shows an error infobar, saying that the language of the page could not be detected.

Perhaps file an issue (if you have not found one already) at crbug.com.

PhistucK

Takashi Toyoshima

Jul 22, 2013, 3:50:42 AM7/22/13
to Alon Gothshmidt, xxxrai...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, Hajime Hoshi
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Tony Russell <xxxrai...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the same problem, but it's only some pages or sites that are affected.

Seems the toolbar doesn't show up automatically because Chrome can't detect the language and hence doesn't realize it might need to be translated.

In this particular case, I am unable to translate some Portuguese websites, such as http://www.uol.com.br/ and http://www.buscape.com.br/.

Chrome will provide infobar for both sites in the latest Canary. But it depends on our heuristics to correct server providing wrong meta information.

In the latter site, server returns Content-Language: ja (Japanese) in its HTTP response, and html tag has lang="en" attribute.
Chrome trusts internal language detection in this case since meta information looks suspicious. But it's too difficult to choose one language from unreliable information.

You can find interesting internal information at Detection Logs of chrome://translate-internals . If you feel something curious, please file a bug to let us know.

These pages translate fine when dragging the URL into translate.google.com, so it must be an issue with Chrome.

Takashi Toyoshima
Software Engineer, Google

Dominik Seifert

Oct 13, 2016, 1:38:11 AM10/13/16
to Chromium-discuss
It appears, they fixed this issue partially:

1. On some websites, you still don't get a translate option.
2. However, you can right-click -> "Translate to English"
3. THEN (and ONLY THEN), you will see the Translate button in the title bar
4. When clicking the button (and then select options), you will see that it could not detect the original language of the website: it just selects the first language in the list (which is "Afrikaans" for me)
5. Just set source and target languages manually

-> Done!

Nirmal Taukoor

Apr 6, 2018, 6:30:47 AM4/6/18
to Chromium-discuss, dominik...@gmail.com
Dominik, this is really helpful, works awesome!!!

Gareth

Mar 10, 2020, 4:01:25 AM3/10/20
to Chromium-discuss, dominik...@gmail.com
Where do you right-click? I can't fid the 'Translate to English' option anywhere...