[ Chromium Linux ] Flag to disable compositing

Eduardo Garcia Bastos

Jun 21, 2024, 1:39:44 PM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to Chromium-discuss
Hello Community!

I'm a linux user and as a lot of linux user's we like things simpler as it can be. I have noticed that chromium started to use compositing to drown the drop down menus with shadows. But it created a problem smaller on chromium (a small white space in the menu corners):

scrot.jpg

But a big issue on other chromium based browsers like Opera and Brave with a big rectangle around the menus:

scrot.jpg

for users that doesn't want to have compositing enabled on desktop! I'm a i3wm window manager user and I don't like and don't want to enable compositing on my desktop environment.

So is there a way to have a flag to disable compositing on chromium,, so we can simply disable that useless "eye-candy" feature?

Thanks!

Eduardo

PhistucK

Jun 21, 2024, 1:43:45 PM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to egbas...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
If you search for -composit in https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/ - there are a few flags that sound relevant.
If they do not do the trick, my gut feeling is that you are not going to be able to achieve this without compiling your own browser and implementing it.

PhistucK