Chromium consuming above 50% CPU and crashes while playing a video

Obaid Ur Rehman

Apr 19, 2022, 2:30:22 PM4/19/22
to Chromium-discuss

I have built the latest stable version of Chromium (at the time of writing 100.0.4896.88) in debug as well as in release mode.

Currently, I am facing issues with CPU usage. Every time I open chromium or a new tab in Chromium, CPU usage jumps above 25% and then comes back to 1 or 2%. After opening around 5-6 tabs, it reaches around 70-80%.

The second issue is about playing videos. When I try to play any video like YouTube in debug mode, the browser immediately crashes. In release mode, it plays it for a few seconds before crashing.

Chris Cunningham

Apr 19, 2022, 3:58:49 PM4/19/22
to obaid...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
For the video issue, can you file a bug at crbug.com? Please also include the relevant crash ID from chrome://crashes.