Can we get good window borders on Linux?

Ben Gubler

Aug 9, 2020, 8:30:40 AM8/9/20
to Chromium-discuss
Chromium (and thus Chrome and Brave Browser) are pretty much the only 3 apps on my computer (running Ubuntu) which don't have clean-looking window borders. Oh, I know you can choose "Use system title bar and borders," but that requires you to have the GNOME top bar on top of the window -- which, quite frankly, is just unnecessary and a waste of pixel space. And sure, you can use various and sundry extensions to try to remove that, but those solutions are hacky, somewhat risky (I'm thinking of modifying the GNOME source CSS), and don't work very well.

So we, as Linux users, are stuck with two choices.
  1. We resign ourselves to an unnecessary titlebar on the top of our screen and the waste of space that means
  2. We have to live with a wide, ugly border around our windows. Split-screen windows don't work. It's difficult to resize windows because the resize handle only appears when hovering over a tiny portion of the border
Sadly, Chromium's poor borders affect PWAs as well -- with or without the "Use system title bar and borders" settings.

I think it's time to finally get good borders on Linux. Other apps handle borders quite well -- even those built with Electron, which uses Chromium! I'm certain there are many developers who are annoyed enough that they would be happy to contribute.

chrome-border-classic.pngchrome-border-gtk.png

chrome-split-screen.pngchrome-appearance-pwa.png