Installing Linux on a Chromebook?

Kyle Garzon

May 27, 2024, 2:07:14 PMMay 27
to Chromium-discuss
Hey Chromium Community!

I've been itching to develop on a Linux machine (that's not a 2GB Raspberry Pi), and I've found that my Chromebook would be a great candidate. I've messed around with Crostini a little, and found that it would suit my needs, but the Chromebook I have simply doesn't have enough storage to hold a Linux Container and ChromeOS. So I had a novel idea- just install Ubuntu rather than ChromeOS! (Ironic, I'm turning to the ChromeOS forum to ask how to get rid of ChromeOS...) So... how can I do that? I have a 32 GB SD card that I'd like my linux to run off of, but how can I do so?

Thanks Chromium Wizards!

Jon Perryman

May 27, 2024, 3:53:15 PMMay 27
to kylebroo...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
You want the ChromeOS group because this is the Chrome browser.

As for installing Ubuntu, does it contain all the device drivers needed for your Chromebook. Also find out if the BIOS is on EPROM (like PC's) or is it a filesystem on the SD card (like RPI). Maybe you can install Ubuntu on a USB thumb drive for testing and boot from it. If all goes well, then replace ChromeOS. Chromebooks are different by manufacturer so a definitive answer will not be possible unless they supply current Linux device drivers because they might only maintain for specific version of Linux. We see this with Android where a device cannot be upgraded past specific versions. ChromeOS and Android are both from Google and both are linux based.

Kyle Garzon

May 27, 2024, 4:03:52 PMMay 27
to Chromium-discuss, Jon Perryman, Chromium-discuss, kylebroo...@gmail.com
Oh! Sorry, I was brought here from a different question on another forum (they were also asking something about ChromeOS, didn't occur to me that this was the browser!), thanks so much though!