Uncertain of what Chrome is doing on commands: window.location.hash and window.addEventListener("hashchange")

Jono Brandel

Apr 15, 2011, 2:56:03 PM4/15/11
to Chromium-discuss
I was doing some snooping on the web and found window.location.hash =
"etc" to be a widely adopted method to update the browser's location
without reloading / refreshing the page. I've applied that to this
example I've cooked up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1595444/locationExample/index.html

Works well in Safari, and Firefox but...

What I've noticed is that in Chrome 10+ OSX upon changing hash:

There is something similar to a reload.
The resulting symptom is a hiccup as the user scrolls down or up.
My console output is preserved (if you check your console the project
string's are outputted).
The favicon seems to be reloading.

What exactly is going on? Is it radically different from Safari (both
webkit, right?) ?

PhistucK

Apr 15, 2011, 3:18:34 PM4/15/11
to jonob...@google.com, Chromium-discuss
On Windows, only the favicon and the title actually reload, the scrolling seems to be fluid.
PhistucK

Jono Brandel

Apr 15, 2011, 3:22:09 PM4/15/11
to PhistucK, Chromium-discuss
That's relieving. Any idea what could be triggering the hiccup on os x if it's fine on windows?
--

c/o Google, Inc.
345 Spear St. Floor 3

Jono Brandel