Why does extension telemetry service collects data for only certain use cases?

Shivam Chawla

Nov 15, 2022, 7:05:40 PM11/15/22
to Chromium-discuss
Hey,

I was debugging Extension telemetry service and I realized that this service was collecting data only if an extension or any of the installed(even disabled) extension had requested  webRequest permission.

Why is this so? Any reference, docs is must appreciated.

To be specific, Here are the steps that I did.
  1. Created a basic extension which does a js fetch call on being clicked.
  2. Put a debug point in remote host contacted signal for Extension Telemetry Service. It did not hit any breakpoint.
  3. However when I added webrequest as a permission, I did see debug points getting hit.

TIA
Shivam Chawla