[ Sales Impact ] High end Chromebooks in APAC

Aman

Jan 7, 2022, 6:36:40 AM1/7/22
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi Chromium Users,

I hope that this email finds you well. If this is not the most appropriate forum to discuss concerns around the Sales of Chromebooks then please redirect it to the right forum. Thanks.

As an advocate of Google Ecosystem, I consistently drive people to migrate in our ecosystem. That said, I try hard to bring all people from non-ChromeOS to ChromeOS.

Following are some points which I think are hitting both [re]sales at least in the Indian market:
  1. AUE for high end devices upward of USD 1,000 and especially for Google's own Pixel* Chromebooks (Eg high end Pixelbook Go can cost upward of $1,400)
    1. Customers can not fathom an expiry on auto updates for our own OS coupled with bad online reviews around this
    2. Furthermore, our own Branded Chromebooks at such a price range have this constraint  when there is none in the competitive Mac OS.
    3. Hard to convince users with this and I feel that it hits us hard because I have had long conversations with these users
  2. Lack of clarity/ boasting on our graphics abilities for Gamers and Video Editors
    1. This could be one more step towards claiming that we are more than Macbooks given that now our built-in Linux system for Developers has become fairly mature
  3.  Fast user switching ("sign in another user" feature) seems to be broken now which is a huge problem
    1. Broken in latest - Atlas stable-channel on Chrome v96 (64 bit)
    2. Working in old - Veyron_minnie stable-channel with Chrome v84 (32 bit)

Aman

Jan 7, 2022, 6:45:48 AM1/7/22
to chromium...@chromium.org
Adding one more point, in the same paragraph below, which was missed earlier.

  1. Lack of compatibility with Printers esp after the deprecation of Cloud Printing

Aman

May 19, 2022, 4:03:58 AM5/19/22
to chromium...@chromium.org
Reviving the thread, any inputs?