GPU compositing bug leading to blurry image

Chris

Oct 29, 2021, 4:07:16 PM10/29/21
to Chromium-discuss

We're seeing some weird compositing occur on some GPUs (not sure how widespread yet). This is reproducible on at least a Radeon Pro 450 (15-inch, 2016 MBP) and some Android devices.  Perspective transforms seem to lead to this result in those browsers (Chrome 95 )Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.13.20 PM.png

Whereas on other browsers this renders as expected - even Safari 15 on the same GPU renders it properly like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 4.15.59 PM.png

None of the usual solutions seem to work - we've tried `will-change: transform` and all the other usual scale/translate approaches.

Here's an example with that for me looks blurry like the first screenshot. Obviously seems like a GPU issue, but wondering if there are any approaches I could try to mitigate?

 https://codepen.io/cttt/pen/QWMgKOr