Cannot Show Saved Passwords - Chrome / Windows

Si Robertson

Mar 4, 2014, 12:38:04 AM3/4/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
I am trying to look at (show) some of my passwords stored by Chrome 33.0.1750.117 on Windows (settings > managed saved passwords) and it asks me for my Windows account password but the problem is I do not have a password setup for my Windows account, leaving the password field blank results in a "login unsuccessful" message. My account, which is the only one on this machine, is an administrator account.

Bearing all of that in mind, how exactly do tell Chrome to show me my own passwords on my own machine?

dhw

Mar 5, 2014, 7:43:45 AM3/5/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
I'm not sure if this helps with your case (Chrome 33), since I just found this stuff in chrome://flags and this note which seems to fix a bug for in-development Chrome 35:

Disable Password Manager Reauthentication Mac, Windows
Disable prompting the user for their OS password before revealing passwords on the passwords page. #password-manager-reauthentication
[Mac] Add option to reauthenticate the OS user before revealing passwords.
When the flag is enabled and the user attempts to reveal a plaintext password
in chrome://settings/passwords, they will be prompted to reauthenticate with
their OS password. This matches Safari's behaviour on OS X.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=345916#c202
Disable password manager reauthentication below Windows 7.
This is because of an interaction between LogonUser() call and sandbox token minting.

w...@chromium.org

Mar 5, 2014, 8:15:42 PM3/5/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
There is a bug for this - https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=347825 the workaround is to disable the reauthentication via flag.  Please star the bug and I'll update it when I diagnose the issue further.

Will

Bright Zheng

Jul 8, 2014, 8:25:51 AM7/8/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
That happend to me too. I was trying to see one of my passwords, but after I correctly entered my Windows password, chrome still wouldn't let me see it.

Jane Fleming

Sep 4, 2014, 7:11:31 AM9/4/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
I need to know the passwords of accounts I havent used for ages. Chrome asks to save password, they are there. Windows 8.1 asked for my windows password.  Entered it. No luck. cannot see my own passwords. Now saving them in Gmail. Is this a Chrome issue or Win 8.1

Jane Fleming

Sep 5, 2014, 5:47:19 AM9/5/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
Have found Windows Security need the password for Win8.1 to allow viewing of passwords in Chrome. My name is shown by Microsoft Security Essentials and then the password needs to be put in. Not the Microsoft **@outlook.com but the password.  Have complained to Microsoft