Chromium Trace Events Documentation

Zach Bogard

Oct 29, 2021, 4:07:07 PM10/29/21
to Chromium-discuss
Hi All,

I've been trying to find some comprehensive docs that specifically explain what each event in the trace profiler does and how it relates to the overall Chromium architecture. For instance, I would like to have a more detailed explanation of what "UpdateLayoutTree" in the "blink,devtools.timeline" category or "WebFrameWidgetImpl::UpdateLifecycle" in the "blink" category does. As of now, I've been navigating the codebase to understand what these events do, but I feel like I would accelerate my understanding if there were some documentation for each event. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Best,
Zach

Eric Seckler

Nov 3, 2021, 12:16:21 PM11/3/21
to zachb...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I'm not aware of any documentation of the individual trace events... I'd recommend reading up on some of the design docs, e.g. on rendering if you're interested in understanding blink/rendering-related work further.. this section might be a good starting point.
Apart from that, doing a code search for the event name like you mentioned should give you some context of the work it annotates.

Depending on your use case, there's also the devtools timeline tool, which is geared towards web developers and may present trace data in an easier-to-digest way.