[Chromedriver] Saving page as PDF times out after 10 seconds. Reason for adding the timeout?

Himanshu Dabas

Sep 14, 2021, 4:03:23 AM9/14/21
to Chromium-discuss, ca...@chromium.org, john...@chromium.org, Shengfa Lin
Hi,

Following is the error I receive when trying to print a large webpage:
Timed out receiving message from renderer: 10.000
Java 11
Chrome: Version 93.0.4577.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Chromedriver:  93.0.4577.63

Selenium has a print method which can be used to call `session/:sessionId/print` w3c endpoint in chromedriver in order to print the page.
which in turn calls the Chrome DevTools Protocol - Page.printToPDF.

When I am trying to print a large webpage, chromedriver throws the `Timeout` error, which otherwise would have returned the result.
Looking through the chromedriver code, I could find there was a 10 second timeout for the print function.
After that I tried build the chromedriver on local (after removing the 10 sec timeout), which solved the issue for me.

My question is: why was a 10 sec timeout added to the print function?
For screenshot of the webpage, a 10 sec timeout does make sense, but for printing a page it seems a bit low.

Regards,
Himanshu