Why does Google Chrome automatically redirect `http://app` to `https://app` but doesn't do that to `http://app2` or `http://napp`?

Yaobin Wen

Feb 17, 2022, 3:33:09 PM2/17/22
to Chromium-discuss
Hi,

I posted the question on Stack Overflow, too, but so far nobody has replied me. The SO link is here. Appreciate if anyone can help me take a look: https://stackoverflow.com/q/71036570/630364

Most of the answers I searched on Google told me to delete the security policy for the domain app and clear the browser cache. I tried but it didn't succeed. In fact, I installed Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop on a VM on which I had never used the browser but I was still unable to access `http://app`. I've described more details in the SO question.

Thanks for help!

Best,
Yaobin

Jon Perryman

Feb 17, 2022, 8:23:50 PM2/17/22
to yaobi...@minevisionsystems.com, Chromium-discuss
HTTP://APP has a redirect to HTTPS where as app2 & napp do not redirect.

All browsers have developer tools. From the network tab, you can see the various network activities. Lines in red are failures and black lines successful. Select the "app" black line and the header tab for that entry. It will show you a 307 error number which is an internal redirect.

In the case of http://app, all browsers will redirect because it exists. From a command prompt, issue command NSLOOKUP APP which will display the IP address. Do the same for APP2 or NAPP which will display domain does not exist.

Regards,  Jon..

Yaobin Wen

Feb 18, 2022, 8:23:17 PM2/18/22
to Chromium-discuss, jon.pe...@gmail.com