"Refresh All" option to refresh all open tabs in Chrome instead of F5'ing each tab

Artifex

Mar 4, 2010, 5:31:08 AM3/4/10
to Chromium-discuss
Something that could be added to Google Chrome which I use almost all
the time now, is an option and shortcut to refresh every open tab in
Chrome that is open. This may seem silly, I mean, Why would you want
to refresh every open tab???

Well, Here in Australia we do not have fast internet like Americans.
On top of that I am on a satellite internet connection that actively
and frequently drops out. I am a heavy power user of Chrome when I
have it open and am always opening new tabs. When our connection drops
out in the middle of 5 tabs loading, I have to go to each and
individual tab and hit F5 or Refresh. This is annoying. Very.

So if this option to refresh all the tabs in Chrome could please be
added, it would be very appreciated.

PhistucK

Mar 4, 2010, 6:09:20 AM3/4/10
to samue...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
You can create an extension that does that, really easily!
(But it will not resend your data, in case of having data submitted by a form. I think.)

☆PhistucK

Artifex

Mar 4, 2010, 7:06:11 AM3/4/10
to Chromium-discuss
I guess the form thing would be okay. I do a lot more browsing than
filling out forms.
I don't know much programming, so how would I create the extension? I
can do HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript, but that is about it.
What will it take to make it?

Finnur Thorarinsson

Mar 4, 2010, 10:52:44 AM3/4/10
to samue...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Developing extensions is really easy, see:

However, this particular extension is already implemented:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?itemlang=&q=reload+all+tabs

Mohamed Mansour's extension is at the top, he's one of the people committing code to Google Chrome.

JW

Mar 4, 2010, 12:27:29 PM3/4/10
to Chromium-discuss
Haha! That worked out well for ya, eh mate? :)

On Mar 4, 7:52 am, Finnur Thorarinsson <fin...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Developing extensions is really easy, see:http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/getstarted.html
>
> However, this particular extension is already implemented:https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?itemlang=&q=reload+all+tabs
> Mohamed Mansour's extension is at the top, he's one of the people committing
> code to Google Chrome.
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 04:06, Artifex <samuelma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guess the form thing would be okay. I do a lot more browsing than
> > filling out forms.
> > I don't know much programming, so how would I create the extension? I
> > can do HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript, but that is about it.
> > What will it take to make it?

Mohamed Mansour

Mar 5, 2010, 12:51:17 AM3/5/10
to samue...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Definitely, actually, creating "Reload All Tabs" extension, was my first JavaScript application I did. And it ended up working perfectly, other than some limitation! Google Chrome extension is just HTML/CSS/JS, if you know the concept of them, it would be super easy to create one.

If you want to look at the source code of "Reload All Tabs", the source is available online on GitHub for free of course:
The reason why I separated them is because many people don't like to have the "Icon" on the extension shelf, and currently extensions don't allow the developer to hide/show the extension icon. The approach I did was basically using cross extension communication to reuse functionality from the main extension. Like an add-on system.

Works great, it is kind of cool because you can create an extension that utilizes multiple processes very easily :)

-
Mohamed Mansour
m...@chromium.org

lin1...@gmail.com

May 9, 2014, 3:44:22 PM5/9/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
Refreshing 'All Tabs' in Chrome is actually very easy.  Just treat the tabs like they are file names.  Click on the 1st tab, then hold down the shift key and click on the last tab.  This 'lights up' / activates all tabs.  Right click the last (or any) tab and then click on Reload (or Ctrl R) and all the tabs are reloaded  Essentially this is the same way you would select a group of files to copy, move or delete them etc.  That's the only way I know how to do that so I tried it with Chrome and it works exactly the same way.  I use this feature to update a group of stock charts  -- typically 16 to 24 tabs  -- to get the latest stock prices.

Pk Jess

Jun 12, 2014, 2:59:19 AM6/12/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
You are so right! I was about to download an extension to do this...
as a matter of fact, I did this myself a while back... but it was only 2 tabs, so I assumed I hit CTRL -R on each... or right clicked and reloaded...
But I just did it with about 25 tabs, and it works beautifully..Thanks for the great infor/reminder!

loaaf

Jedd Waterton

Sep 14, 2014, 7:48:01 PM9/14/14
to chromium...@chromium.org, samue...@gmail.com
You lost me at ' "The Icon" '  (Double quotes deliberate)

Terrymol Christian

Oct 1, 2014, 1:52:42 AM10/1/14
to chromium...@chromium.org
this works!! ..Thanks..
Message has been deleted

Guillaume Combot

Dec 14, 2014, 7:16:19 AM12/14/14
to chromium...@chromium.org, lin1...@gmail.com
works! Thanks!
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

g d

Feb 2, 2015, 10:23:50 PM2/2/15
to chromium...@chromium.org, lin1...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for this tip!! I've been struggling with this problem for years!
BTW when you "hold down the shift key and click on the last tab" does anything change on the tab bar? On my Chrome the only thing that happens is that the focus goes to the last tab and at first when I tried your tip I was sure that it's not working anymore (in the newer version of Chrome) until I decided to try it even though it looked like it's not working and it worked :)

PhistucK

Manahil

Jun 6, 2015, 10:24:58 PM6/6/15
to chromium...@chromium.org

Kael Seyum

Dec 11, 2015, 11:43:26 AM12/11/15
to Chromium-discuss
BTW: In the new chrome update they changed it to alt.

Heavenly Prince

May 25, 2016, 2:27:36 PM5/25/16
to Chromium-discuss, kael...@gmail.com
This one's not working for me.

Ramesh Srigiriraju

May 29, 2016, 9:47:16 PM5/29/16
to heavenly...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, kael...@gmail.com
To the OP:
Mozilla Firefox has a "Reload All Tabs" feature.
If you can install it on your computer, then that can be a workaround until we get it to work in Chrome.

Michael Liquori

Jun 28, 2016, 2:21:23 AM6/28/16
to Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com
This is the best answer - don't add extensions if you don't need to! However, it no longer works with keyboard shortcuts (at least on Mac). Wish it still did, not a huge deal though.

Damian

Jan 8, 2017, 7:10:47 AM1/8/17
to Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com
It works for me with selecting first tab then with Alt and Shift selecting second tab and then right clicking on any selected tab and refreshing.

Ted Oboute

Aug 6, 2017, 5:12:58 AM8/6/17
to Chromium-discuss
I found that (hold CTRL+Shift, click the first and last tabs, then right click the last tab and select reload) worked. Thank you all for the input

Joshua Pinter

Nov 16, 2017, 1:31:26 AM11/16/17
to Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com
Genius! Thanks!

d jy

Dec 18, 2017, 1:38:17 AM12/18/17
to Chromium-discuss
Ted Oboute's solution works for me in ubuntu 16.04, thank Ted

nampally jagan

Dec 12, 2018, 3:45:15 AM12/12/18
to Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com
Hello ,

But the shift + another tab not working in my chrome . It just switching to the another tab.

PhistucK

Dec 12, 2018, 3:54:09 AM12/12/18
to jagan4n...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com
What platform are you using? What is your Chrome version?

PhistucK

Matthew Markwald

Apr 28, 2019, 5:51:06 AM4/28/19
to Chromium-discuss, tobo...@yahoo.com
0__0 wow, how did you stumble on that, thank you for sharing!

Kalpesh Vala

Sep 18, 2019, 2:47:49 AM9/18/19
to Chromium-discuss, lin1...@gmail.com, joshua...@gmail.com
I found that (hold Shift, click the first and last tabs, then right click the last tab and select reload) worked. Thank you all for the input