Disabling Software Reporter Tool

Dafydd

Sep 23, 2015, 11:31:03 AM9/23/15
to Chromium-discuss
Hi,

as an organisation, we practise application whitelisting (on Windows), so that no unauthorised software can run from e.g. user profiles.
Chrome is installed into Program Files.

For the last few months, I have been notified of an executable called software_reporter_tool.exe attempting to run by Chrome from AppData on our user workstations.
I can find no documented way to disable this tool from running, or indeed, what the tool really does.

In a managed environment, where the users cannot install any software, I have no need for a reporter/cleanup tool.

I hope there is an easy way to disable this tool, to prevent me being notified of unauthorised software being run several times a day for each user.

Cheers,
Dafydd

MSI Team

Sep 24, 2015, 1:24:55 PM9/24/15
to Chromium-discuss
The software_reporter_tool is [part of] the Chrome Cleanup Tool (formerly the Software Removal Tool). Please see https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/bFhfVkR-ENo. Thanks.

Max Burg

Sep 29, 2016, 7:31:54 AM9/29/16
to Chromium-discuss
Hi,
did you find a way to disable the "software reporter tool"?
We have a similar problem. We use AppSense application manager which is configured to block every app owned/created by a user and not an admin.

Would be great if you got a solution.

Cheers, Max

Rhied White

Dec 2, 2017, 4:26:15 PM12/2/17
to Chromium-discuss, max....@gmail.com
I went into notepad and created a file in the same directory and called it software_reporter_tool.txt.  Then I closed Chrome, renamed the original exe file to .old and renamed the .txt file to .exe and the process no longer runs when I start up Chrome.  I'll mention that I added enough text in the file to make the file a little larger than the original exe, but I'm not sure if it really matters.

Juan José López Jaimez

Dec 3, 2017, 1:42:20 AM12/3/17
to Chromium-discuss
Hello,

The Software Reporter Tool is used by chrome to identify potential unwanted software installed on the user's browser.

I am not aware if there is a way of disabling it, however I think this issue has been reported to the team in charge of the tool and they may be working on it.

Cheers

JJ

Bill Mayhew

Feb 20, 2018, 4:50:37 AM2/20/18
to Chromium-discuss
3 YEARS LATER and this damned thing is still annoying Google customers.

Google product quality has gone into the sewer.  I was a fan of Chrome for a while, but there've been too many anomalous behaviors and too much abject refusal by Google to address them.  Now I use Firefox Quantum - Mozilla has a long track record of RESPONSIBLE and ACCOUNTABLE behavior.