Chrome browser - multicast DNS support

Uma Maheswar

Jan 2, 2021, 5:58:49 AM1/2/21
to Chromium-discuss
Hello,
I am working on a project where on the chrome browser application I need to publish my application multicast DNS (mDNS) address and also listen to mDNS advertisements published by other devices. Wondering Chrome browser supports mDNS protocol.

Appreciate your help!

Thanks,
UmaMaheswar

Jon Perryman

Jan 2, 2021, 2:03:01 PM1/2/21
to Chromium-discuss
I've never used multicast DNS so I don't know the specifics. The concept is that this is a different type of name server using the standard name server API's implemented in applications. In theory, it should just work so unless someone has actually tried it, then you should just try it out.

Jon

Eric Orth

Jan 5, 2021, 11:44:46 AM1/5/21
to Chromium-discuss, umamahesw...@gmail.com
Chrome does not currently have any general-purpose APIs to support apps publishing mDNS records or listening for mDNS advertisements.

As for resolving mDNS names (names ending in ".local"), the general behavior is that if such a name is requested, Chrome will always delegate host resolution to the OS to allow it to be resolved via mDNS if and only if that is the OS's resolution behavior.  So the ability for Chrome to resolve mDNS names depends on the OS on which Chrome is running and its configuration and installed libraries.

Uma Maheswar

Jan 7, 2021, 12:04:51 PM1/7/21
to Chromium-discuss, eric...@chromium.org, Uma Maheswar
Thank you Eric and Jon for the reply.