Viewport Tag on Chrome for iOS being ignored

ImStevieRay

Mar 8, 2016, 6:19:33 PM3/8/16
to Chromium-discuss
Is anyone else having this issue?
I have a viewport meta tag that fits to content to the device width.
It works on Safari mobile and Chrome desktop, even when scaled down.
Only Chrome for iOS ignores the viewport tag and shows the full screen

I'm using an iphone 6 plus for testing.

I wasn't sure where to post this question.
If anyone has insight or can help me out or if it's a bug hopefully this is brought to your attention so it can be fixed.

Thanks for the read,
email me for any updates or inquiries

the site in question is: http://www.cheatsheetatx.com

Regards,
Stephen V

PhistucK

Mar 9, 2016, 2:39:33 AM3/9/16
to stephen...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment. It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

PhistucK

Gary Stimson

Mar 9, 2016, 5:01:02 AM3/9/16
to PhistucK, stephen...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Hi Stephen,

I hit the exact same issue last week. Works fine on Android Chrome and on Desktops, but on IOS Chrome (and IOS Safari) I see the issue were the viewport tag was ignored.

On experimenting and reading various forums I found that it was because I was missing additional attributes in the meta tag. Other browsers fill in the rest, but for some reason Chrome on IOS needs them all to work. I changed:
To:

Hope that helps. I suggest you still log the issue as it should act the same was as on Android Chrome.

Cheers,
Gary
--
Kind regards,
Gary Stimson

PhistucK

Mar 9, 2016, 5:39:12 AM3/9/16
to Gary Stimson, ImStevieRay, Chromium-discuss

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Gary Stimson <garys...@gmail.com> wrote:
I suggest you still log the issue as it should act the same was as on Android Chrome.

​No, actually, it should not. It should behave the same as iOS Safari, since it is sort of a skin on top of Safari (in terms of the rendering engine).
(Apple does not let other browsers into iOS)

PhistucK

Gary Stimson

Mar 9, 2016, 5:49:51 AM3/9/16
to PhistucK, ImStevieRay, Chromium-discuss

Thats what I thought. So technically this is an issue with Safari and not Chrome ;)

Gary