[chromium-discuss] Chromium translations

David Planella

May 6, 2010, 12:25:26 PM5/6/10
to Chromium-discuss
Hi all,

I see that Chromium supports localization and it is already translated
to about 50 languages, in some of which only partially.

I'd like to ask how the community can contribute to translations,
either completing the partial translations or adding new languages, as
after a quick search I could not find any information on this, neither
on the procedure nor on the localization technology or format Chromium
uses.

Thanks.

Regards,
David.

Simon B.

May 7, 2010, 7:37:22 AM5/7/10
to Chromium-discuss
So far translations have been done through Google's translators, and
there are quite a lot of translation mistakes also among the bigger
languages.

Chrome really needs to get integrated with some translation system --
perhaps "Google in your language" http://www.google.com/transconsole/giyl/chooseProject
or "Google translator toolkit" http://translate.google.com/toolkit/list
and then get volunteers to at least be able to flag incorrect official
translations, and preferably also add suggestions for better
translations. A third option would be to make Chromium (the open
source project) run its own translations over on
https://translations.launchpad.net/chromium-browser and then the
official Chrome versions could save themselves some work by mostly
reusing those translations.

Anyway, the current situation is unbearable and I'm just refusing to
use anything else than the English version.

On May 6, 6:25 pm, David Planella <david.plane...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see that Chromium supports localization and it is already translated
> to about 50 languages, in some of which only partially.
>
> I'd like to ask how the community can contribute to translations,
> either completing the partial translations or adding new languages, as
> after a quick search I could not find any information on this, neither
> on the procedure nor on the localization technology or format Chromium
> uses.

PhistucK

May 7, 2010, 7:45:21 AM5/7/10
to david.p...@googlemail.com, Chromium-discuss
If you spot a translation mistake in Chrome, you should file a bug for each one of the mistakes you find, at new.crbug.com.
It would be productive if you could search crbug.com for existing issues first and only file a new bug if you cannot find them.

☆PhistucK