Disabling WebGL in Chrome 47

Tanya Powell

Dec 10, 2015, 11:58:48 AM12/10/15
to Chromium-discuss
Hi,

I need to disable WebGL to check whether my canvas rendering functionality works on a mobile web game I'm developing. Do you know WebGL can be disabled in Chrome 47?

P.s. my team lead says Chrome is no longer developer friendly and I'm starting to agree with him

Christian Biesinger

Dec 10, 2015, 1:10:40 PM12/10/15
to hitany...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
You can run with --disable-webgl,
https://www.browserleaks.com/webgl#howto-enable-disable-webgl

Out of curiosity, why do you say that Chrome is no longer developer friendly?

-Christian
> --

Tanya Powell

Dec 14, 2015, 5:34:46 AM12/14/15
to Chromium-discuss, hitany...@gmail.com
How do I do this via the OS X terminal?

Anton Vayvod

Dec 14, 2015, 6:40:10 AM12/14/15
to hitany...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
How do you run Chrome from the OS X terminal? Append --disable-webgl to the command line.

E.g. src/out/Debug/Chromium.app/Contents/MacOS/Chromium --disable-webgl

Tanya Powell

Dec 14, 2015, 6:49:21 AM12/14/15
to Chromium-discuss, hitany...@gmail.com, ava...@chromium.org
I tried this `Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/ --disable-webgl` and received `permission denied: Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/` after following the instructions on the Chromium website https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags

Because this is not a command as such, sudo doesn't work

Anton Vayvod

Dec 14, 2015, 6:53:04 AM12/14/15
to Tanya Powell, Chromium-discuss
You need to append the binary name to the directory in your command, it should be something like:

"/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --disable-webgl"

Tanya Powell

Dec 14, 2015, 9:23:26 AM12/14/15
to Chromium-discuss, hitany...@gmail.com, ava...@chromium.org
great! Thanks