Default backend for Angle on MS-Windows

Kevin Rogovin

Apr 15, 2022, 11:07:30 AM4/15/22
to Chromium-discuss
I have some quite sophisticated shaders (in terms of data access, dynamic loops and dynamic nested flow control). I have tested the shaders in the following environments:
  1. MacOS (tested on M1 and AMD GPU's)
    1. native OpenGL (works perfect)
    2. Chrome
      1. with ANGLE configured to OpenGL (works perfect)
      2. with ANGLE configured to use Metal (works fine with work around to use texture lookup instead of UBO's)
    3. Safari
      1. with ANGLE configured to use OpenGL (in past worked fine, now fails even trying various work-arounds)
      2. with ANGLE configured to use Metal (works fine with work around to use texture lookup instead of UBO's)
  2. MS-Windows (Tested with NVIDIA GPU)
    1. Native OpenGL (works perfect)
    2. Chrome
      1. with ANGLE configured to OpenGL (works perfect)
      2. with ANGLE configured to use Direct3D (works poorly with work around of emulating UBO's with texture fetch and some shaders crash the GPU process as well)
    3. Edge: similar to Chrome with Direct3D: works often quite poorly even with work around enabled, but some shaders sometimes crash the GPU process or just don't work correctly)
  3. Linux (NVIDIA GPU and Intel GPU)
    1. Native OpenGL (works perfect)
    2. Chrome with ANGLE configured to OpenGL (works perfect)

In light of the above, I am seeing that the Direct3D backend is just making issues, not solving them. It would be quite ideal for the backend to be OpenGL for WebGL2. OpenGL drivers on MS-Windows (including AMD and Intel) have come a very long way since ANGLE was first developed. So long, that I claim that emulating OpenGL with Direct3D lowers compatibility and lowers performance a great deal with sophisticated shaders.

Right now, the poor performance and poor reliability to execute complicated shaders jeopardises my work.

PhistucK

Apr 16, 2022, 9:51:58 AM4/16/22
to kevinr...@invisionapp.com, Chromium-discuss
graphics-dev might be better for this.