why has chromium been "rebranded" to chrome?

Michael MS

May 27, 2024, 2:06:14 PMMay 27
to Chromium-discuss
Trying to download open source chromium to use on desktop. Seems when go to the chromium page, "chrome" (canary) is downloaded. Is this chromium or is this the non open source official google chrome? If so why rebrand as chrome? Now I have 2 chromes on my desktop.

PhistucK

May 27, 2024, 2:12:22 PMMay 27
to whomic...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
I did not hear of any rebranding. Can you share a link to the page you are referring to?

PhistucK

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 7:06 PM Michael MS <whomic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Trying to download open source chromium to use on desktop. Seems when go to the chromium page, "chrome" (canary) is downloaded. Is this chromium or is this the non open source official google chrome? If so why rebrand as chrome? Now I have 2 chromes on my desktop.

Jon Perryman

May 27, 2024, 2:53:44 PMMay 27
to whomic...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
Chromium is source only. If you want to run unmodified Chromium, then you will need to download and build it. Or find someone you trust who has built it without modifying it

Any binaries (except for testing) downloaded are not part of the Chromium project. Chrome, MS-Edge, Brave & others binaries are based on Chromium source. This is not rebranding. They are simply modified chromium based browsers.

As for the Chrome version you installed, you may have found a reference from chromium.org but it would redirect you to another website. Remember that Google has control of both projects.

guest271314

Jun 2, 2024, 10:26:22 AMJun 2
to Chromium-discuss, Jon Perryman, Chromium-discuss, whomic...@gmail.com
This  is  what I use to  download Chromium from https://download-chromium.appspot.com/

    wget --show-progress --progress=bar --output-document chrome.zip https://download-chromium.appspot.com/dl/Linux_x64?type=snapshots && unzip chrome.zip && rm chrome.zip

Jon Perryman

Jun 2, 2024, 11:39:14 PMJun 2
to guest271314, Chromium-discuss, whomic...@gmail.com
You downloaded from APPSPOT.COM which has nothing to do with Chrome, MS-Edge nor ??? except a test chromium that is not guaranteed to be reliable nor fully tested.  I'm not familiar with it. Maybe someone can tell you how to start, uninstall and other important information about it.

You say there are 2 CHROMES on your desktop but Appspot is chromium (very different). I suspect that you somehow got a second shortcut to the same Chrome because it's unlikely Appspot would create a shortcut labeled Chrome that points to Appspot's Chromium. Far more likely is that both shortcuts point to the same Chrome. I can't tell you how it got there but look at them to see if they use the same directory.