Symbolization of ASan Traces for Android

Andre Kempe

Nov 22, 2021, 7:29:34 PM11/22/21
to Chromium-dev
Hej everyone,

for bug https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1266005  I want to symbolize an ASan trace using build/android/asan_symbolize.py

So, following the guide at https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/asan.md#building-on-android I build and run the very same test from base_unittests. ASan encounters the error, kills the test, I have a logcat including the unsymbolized stack trace.

However, trying to have it symbolized by build/android/asan_symbolize.py doesn't do what I expect. No matter if I read the logcat from stdin or use the --logcat option, run the test from within the output-folder or pass it as a parameter, or hand in the architecture via parameter, the "symbolized" output is always equal to the raw input, that is nothing has been symbolized at all. Unfortunately the script doesn't issue any errors or warning either.

Can anyone give me a hint what I am doing wrong here? Are there some common pitfalls etc to watch out for?

Thanks for you help.

Best Regards,
André

Jim Pollock

Nov 26, 2021, 7:40:00 PM11/26/21
to andre...@arm.com, Chromium-dev
Hi Andre,

I encountered something a bit similar once, and the critical piece was that /usr/bin/llvm-symbolizer wasn't present on my system. Once I got that installed from the llvm package thenI found it worked.

That was outside the context of anything Android though, so may be a different situation.

Cheers,

Jim Pollock
Chrome OS Platform