PSA: Android 6.0 Marshmallow support is now deprecated in the Chromium code base

Tommy Nyquist

Sep 13, 2022, 12:24:15 AM9/13/22
to chromium-dev
Hi, fellow developers!

What?
We have deprecated support for Android 6.0 Marshmallow, API level 23, in the Chromium code base. The minimum version supported going forward is Android 7.0 Nougat, API level 24.

* Regarding cronet: The parts of the code base that affect cronet still need to support older versions of Android (supported cronet builders listed here).

Why?
We value our users and want to keep them safe on the web, but maintaining Chrome on operating system versions that are no longer supported reduces our ability to move the rest of Chrome forward. As other apps have done, we have decided to end support for Android 6.0 Marshmallow now that almost 7 years have passed since its final update.

When?
Chrome M106 is the last release that will support Android 6.0 Marshmallow. You can find the Chrome release schedule here.
Chrome M107 will not be shipped to Android 6.0 Marshmallow so you can now make cleanups for this on the main branch.

For cleanup CLs related to this, you can either use this meta bug: https://crbug.com/1363002, or file blocking bugs.

--
The Chrome team at Google

Andrew Grieve

Sep 14, 2022, 4:36:55 PM9/14/22
to Tommy Nyquist, chromium-dev
This is exciting! But M106 doesn't go stable for another ~2 weeks. Should we wait 2 weeks to ensure we don't make cherry-picks more risky?

Also - I think we can't bump our default_min_sdk_version, or remove API guards for M until our android-marshmallow trybots are updated (or else break the trybots)?

Haiyang Pan

Oct 3, 2022, 7:20:16 PM10/3/22
to nyq...@chromium.org, chromium-dev

Hi folks,

We are glad to share the news that Android Marshmallow CQ builders[1][2] have been replaced by a new CQ builder on Android Nougat (android-nougat-x86-rel) on the main branch.

Next steps will include:

  • Make the CQ switch for M107 branch.

  • Removing Marshmallow from sheriffing tools for main and M107 branches: (Tracking bug).

  • Submitting a change to increase the minimum SDK version for main (and possibly M107 branch).

After that we expect cleanup to start in earnest. For details, please check all the open tickets in the "BlockedOn" field of the meta bug.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this email or create blocking bugs.

Thanks,

The Chrome team at Google.

Best,
Haiyang

Tommy Nyquist

Nov 8, 2022, 2:24:01 PM11/8/22
to Andrew Grieve, chromium-dev
The minimum SDK version bump has now landed and the change has stuck.

New bots have been added for Nougat, and we've removed Marshmallow bots.

The metabug description has also been updated to reflect this.

This means that we can now fully start removing Marshmallow code (just keep in mind that Cronet still needs to work).

--
Tommy

Haiyang Pan

Nov 21, 2022, 2:16:49 PM11/21/22
to chromium-dev

Hello everyone,

It has been a month since we started migrating the builders affected by the Marshmallow deprecation. Here is a quick update on where we are right now.

TL;DR; For chromium builders that run test on devices:

  • 15 builders have been migrated or removed.

  • 4 are working in progress.

  • 3 are not started yet.

Here is the detailed information.

Builder

Status

Android FYI Release (Nexus 5X)

Migrated to Nexus 5X on N

Android Release (Nexus 5X)

CI migrated to Nexus 5X on N

CQ migration WIP

Android WebView M (dbg)

Removed

android_blink_rel

Migrated to emulator on 12

android-angle-arm64-nexus5x

Removed

android-angle-chromium-arm64-nexus5x

Migrated to Nexus 5X on N

android-arm64-proguard-rel

WIP

android-asan

WIP

android-bfcache-rel

Migrated to emulator on N

android-code-coverage

Migrated to Pixel 2 on P

android-cronet-asan-arm-rel

Not started

android-marshmallow-arm64-rel

Replaced by

android-nougat-x86-rel

android-opus-arm-rel

Removed

android-rust-arm-dbg

Migrated to Pixel 2 on P

android-rust-arm-rel

Not started

Marshmallow 64 bit Tester

Not started

Marshmallow Tablet Tester

Removed

Optional Android Release (Nexus 5X) (fake builder)

Removed

ToTAndroid

WIP

WebRTC Chromium Android Tester

Migrated to Pixel 2 on P

WebRTC Chromium FYI Android Tests (dbg) (M Nexus5X)

Removed

Thanks,

The Chrome team at Google.

--