Turning down omahaproxy.appspot.com on March 31, 2023

Ben Mason

Feb 3, 2023, 5:17:41 PM2/3/23
to chromi...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org

Folks,

One of our longest running Google Cloud projects has seen its most useful days come and go. We will turn it down on March 31, 2023. There are still some endpoints who rely on JSON data from omahaproxy, so if you think anything you own relies on Omahaproxy (e.g. cs/ link), check out Chromium Dash instead. The following shows where the functionality of each tool in OmahaProxy can be found:

Most usage of Omahaproxy relies on /all.json. Here is an alternative source of the same data.

Please file a bug using component=Tools>ChromiumDash if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Ben Mason

Reilly Grant

Feb 6, 2023, 1:38:53 PM2/6/23
to benm...@google.com, chromi...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org
Is there a replacement for the "Who" functionality for mapping @chromium.org accounts to @google.com accounts (and vice-a-versa)?
Reilly Grant | Software Engineer | rei...@chromium.org | Google Chrome

K. Moon

Feb 6, 2023, 5:37:27 PM2/6/23
to rei...@chromium.org, benm...@google.com, chromi...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org
I think this has been broken for a while anyway.

Matthew Blecker

Feb 6, 2023, 7:57:08 PM2/6/23
to Reilly Grant, benm...@google.com, chromi...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org
On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 10:37 AM Reilly Grant <rei...@chromium.org> wrote:
Is there a replacement for the "Who" functionality for mapping @chromium.org accounts to @google.com accounts (and vice-a-versa)?

Does that feature actually work today?  I just learned of it from this e-mail.  I tried the @chromium.org + @google.com e-mails of 3 people as a spot-check (including myself).  In all 6 cases the "Who Result" response was the exact e-mail I entered, without any mapping between the domains.

Jakob Kummerow

Feb 7, 2023, 7:49:08 AM2/7/23
On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 11:17 PM 'Ben Mason' via Chromium-dev <chromi...@chromium.org> wrote:

Folks,

One of our longest running Google Cloud projects has seen its most useful days come and go. We will turn it down on March 31, 2023. There are still some endpoints who rely on JSON data from omahaproxy, so if you think anything you own relies on Omahaproxy (e.g. cs/ link), check out Chromium Dash instead. The following shows where the functionality of each tool in OmahaProxy can be found:

That's far from the same functionality. Filed crbug.com/1413680 (per the request at the bottom of this mail).

No. The V8 repository can show you the contents and history of a given V8 version (or commit), once you know which version you're interested in. When you're trying to find out which V8 version is in a given Chrome release, it can't help you.

Raphael Kubo da Costa

Feb 7, 2023, 10:27:31 AM2/7/23
to benm...@google.com, chromi...@chromium.org
Op 03-02-2023 om 21:16 schreef 'Ben Mason' via Chromium-dev:
  • All versions (CSV) -> (Deprecated - if you’re using this, please reach out)

The publish_tarball recipe uses the OmahaProxy recipe module, which fetches the CSV data from https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/history.

I've filed https://crbug.com/1413633 to track this.

Mason Freed

Feb 7, 2023, 12:11:55 PM2/7/23
to Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com, chromiu...@chromium.org
Forgive me if this exists somewhere, but I looked through the "translations" below and couldn't find the three features I use most often from Omahaproxy:
  • Map from version number to chromium commit number. E.g. 109.0.5414.119 --> 1070088.
  • Map from commit number to hash and version. E.g. 1070088 --> 4417ee59... and 109.0.5414.0
  • List of latest Canary/Dev/Beta/Stable version numbers by platform
Do these exist somewhere on chromiumdash?

Thanks,
Mason

Garrett Beaty

Feb 7, 2023, 12:36:10 PM2/7/23
to mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
I use the CSV viewer portion to check which major versions are actually pushing to what channel for each platform. I manage the Ci/CQ configurations and this allows me to turn down unnecessary testing for a platform once a particular version is no longer being pushed for the platform. How do I find that information on chromiumdash?

Greg Thompson

Feb 8, 2023, 5:40:38 AM2/8/23
to mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
+1 on mapping a commit position to a version. The closest I could find maps a CL to what looks like a shipping release version, but this isn't the same thing. I very regularly want to know in which canary branch a CL first appeared.

Peter Boström

Feb 8, 2023, 12:47:30 PM2/8/23
to g...@chromium.org, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
The best I got is: crrev.com/789456 => gives you gitiles so it gives you the hash.

Then search for the hash under commits:

Clicking on that commit gives:

Canary 86 86.0.4206.0 as the first Canary build that had this commit.

Maybe there's a better way with fewer steps.

Sven Zheng

Feb 8, 2023, 1:31:52 PM2/8/23
to pb...@chromium.org, g...@chromium.org, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
There's a chrome extension called 'Chromium CL Finder', which will show the cl's landed version(both browser and chromeos) on gerrit. I think it's internal only now and hopefully the gerrit team can integrate it(they mentioned this).
Personally I found it very useful.

Vladislav Kaznacheev

Feb 8, 2023, 2:21:24 PM2/8/23
to sven...@chromium.org, pb...@chromium.org, g...@chromium.org, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
I do have an internal tool that depends on https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-find-releases-static

It is used in the pipeline that powers the ChromeOS UI Stability Triage dashboard (https://data.corp.google.com/sites/cros-ui-stability-triage).

Among other things, the dashboard shows CLs linked to bugs, linked to crash signatures. It can even flag crashes that continue being reported after a (purported) fix has landed.

image.png

This automation saves us (ChromeOS UI Stability Triage rotation) a lot of time, and it would be a pity to lose it.

A few months ago I asked about a clean way to access this data here, and got pointed to https://chrome-internal.googlesource.com/infra/infra_internal/+/HEAD/doc/troopers/playbooks/workflow.md#Find-Releases, which says that the data lives in a local Python pickle file somewhere. I ended up writing my own Python script that (very gently) scrapes https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-find-releases-static.

I wonder if this deprecation would create a strong enough reason to export this data (specifically, a mapping from a commit hash to a Chrome version) into a Plx table?

Thanks,

  Vlad

K. Moon

Feb 8, 2023, 2:24:15 PM2/8/23
to kazna...@google.com, sven...@chromium.org, pb...@chromium.org, g...@chromium.org, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com
Just a reminder that we shouldn't be posting links to or screenshots of internal tools on a public mailing list.

Ken Rockot

Feb 13, 2023, 4:34:49 PM2/13/23
On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 9:11 AM Mason Freed <mas...@chromium.org> wrote:
Forgive me if this exists somewhere, but I looked through the "translations" below and couldn't find the three features I use most often from Omahaproxy:
  • Map from version number to chromium commit number. E.g. 109.0.5414.119 --> 1070088.
  • Map from commit number to hash and version. E.g. 1070088 --> 4417ee59... and 109.0.5414.0
  • List of latest Canary/Dev/Beta/Stable version numbers by platform
Do these exist somewhere on chromiumdash?

+1 I use omahaproxy almost every day for these same tasks. It would be pretty sad to no longer have such a tool available.

I filed https://crbug.com/1415499 to track the request for Chromium Dash, though maybe there should be separate feature requests for each one.

Thanks,
Mason

On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 2:17:41 PM UTC-8 benm...@google.com wrote:

Folks,

One of our longest running Google Cloud projects has seen its most useful days come and go. We will turn it down on March 31, 2023. There are still some endpoints who rely on JSON data from omahaproxy, so if you think anything you own relies on Omahaproxy (e.g. cs/ link), check out Chromium Dash instead. The following shows where the functionality of each tool in OmahaProxy can be found:

Most usage of Omahaproxy relies on /all.json. Here is an alternative source of the same data.

Please file a bug using component=Tools>ChromiumDash if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Ben Mason

Colin Blundell

avm99963

Feb 14, 2023, 12:10:14 PM2/14/23
to Chromium-dev, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com, roc...@google.com
+1. Could you make https://crbug.com/1415499 public, please? I'd also be interested in following its status.

(I'm currently using omahaproxy's list of latest versions by platform here (live page))

Adrià Vilanova Martínez

Feb 14, 2023, 12:19:03 PM2/14/23
to Chromium-dev, avm99963, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, benm...@google.com, roc...@google.com
Thanks wfh@! :)

Alex Rudenko

Feb 21, 2023, 3:01:08 PM2/21/23
to jocde...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, benm...@google.com, roc...@google.com
Hi,

Puppeteer project is using https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/all.json to find the latest released revision (branch_base_position). Is there a new API on ChromiumDash that returns the revision information?
It looks like endpoints like https://versionhistory.googleapis.com/v1/chrome/platforms/all/channels/all/versions/ only return versions.

Best regards,
Alex

--

Alex Rudenko

Software Engineer

alexr...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Straße 33

80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.

Ben Mason

Feb 24, 2023, 2:42:01 PM2/24/23
to Alex Rudenko, jocde...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, roc...@google.com
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am working my way through them and will get back to you all in due course.

Geoffrey Thomas

Mar 6, 2023, 2:39:15 PM3/6/23
to Chromium-dev, Ben Mason, chromiu...@chromium.org
Can you please add a note/banner to omahaproxy directing people to chromiumdash or to this thread?

Also, I noticed today a few uses from Google sites:
- The JavaScript on https://chromeenterprise.google/browser/download/ uses /all.json, at least for display.
- https://developer.chrome.com/docs/web-platform/chrome-release-channels/ links to omahaproxy and should probably link to https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/releases instead. I think a few other pages on developer.chrome.com also link to omahaproxy.

Caleb Raitto

Mar 7, 2023, 1:04:28 PM3/7/23
to Chromium-dev, Geoffrey Thomas, Ben Mason, chromiu...@chromium.org
+1 -- I'd appreciate if the omahaproxy site would redirect to this thread after the deprecation.

-Caleb

Vladislav Kaznacheev

Mar 27, 2023, 1:48:51 PM3/27/23
to cara...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Geoffrey Thomas, Ben Mason
I was able to write my own script borrowing the crucial 10 lines of code from find_releases, so my pipeline's needs a fully satisfied.

Ben Mason

May 4, 2023, 1:22:39 PM5/4/23
to Tim Sullivan, Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, roc...@google.com, jocde...@gmail.com
There is https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/fetch_releases?num=1 which will show details of currently released builds and https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/fetch_version?version=110.0.5481.61 (swap out the version code) which will give you information about a version. Do those help?

On Thu, 4 May 2023 at 18:15, Tim Sullivan <tsul...@elastic.co> wrote:
I would love an answer to Alex's question as well. I am looking for a way to access the Chromium revision number from the release version.
I hope this makes sense!

Tim Sullivan

May 8, 2023, 1:26:28 PM5/8/23
to Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Chromium-dev, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, benm...@google.com, roc...@google.com, jocde...@gmail.com
I would love an answer to Alex's question as well. I am looking for a way to access the Chromium revision number from the release version.
I hope this makes sense!

Tim Sullivan

May 8, 2023, 1:26:53 PM5/8/23
to Chromium-dev, Ben Mason, Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Colin Blundell, mas...@chromium.org, roc...@google.com, jocde...@gmail.com, Tim Sullivan
Yes, this resource is very helpful. Thank you, Ben!

Will Harris

May 8, 2023, 1:33:01 PM5/8/23
to Ben Mason, Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Colin Blundell
What is the nearest/easiest equivalent to e.g. https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/history?channel=stable&os=win what I am looking for is a simple list of all releases I can eyeball to e.g. know what release was out on a particular day, and also know when a particular milestone was released, with UTC timestamp, and being easily able to filter by channel and OS.

I found e.g. https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/releases?platform=Windows but I have to click 'load more' over and over to get more e.g. to get back to releases from > 1 year ago, and it does also not show UTC timestamp.

Will

Alexei Svitkine

May 8, 2023, 3:45:10 PM5/8/23
to w...@chromium.org, Ben Mason, Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Colin Blundell
One advantage of OmahaProxy is the fact that it had all these tools in one place without needing to remember N different tools to use.
Are there any plans to make a doc or page that's a "cheatsheet" with all the links to the replacements?

Mason Freed

Jul 14, 2023, 9:22:53 PM7/14/23
to asvi...@chromium.org, w...@chromium.org, Ben Mason, Chromium-dev, Alex Rudenko, Colin Blundell
Resurrecting this thread because I recently got fooled by the still-operating https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/ site. You can happily type revision numbers into the "Find Releases" blank, and while old revisions will report information, new revisions will just (forever) tell you that they haven't landed yet.

Would it be possible to remove any parts of that site that are now turned down?

Thanks,
Mason

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Chromium-dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CAKFU2SB1gRSVr4dTXfYBGAwN8yZW%2Be12UHV9xg92C_xgOVhPWw%40mail.gmail.com.