How to package a Chromium release.

Michael Duffy

Sep 18, 2022, 8:49:16 PM9/18/22
to Chromium-dev
This is a very good guide:
Checking out and Building Chromium for Windows

Thx to whoever worked on that document.

Now that I have created a build on my workstation, I would like to share it with others.  Is there a guide for packaging a Chromium release for Windows?

I guess I could zip up the entire src/out/Default directory, but it is 51.6 GB and I am sure there a lot there that is not needed.

Thx in advance.

Mike

Sven Zheng

Sep 19, 2022, 3:16:35 PM9/19/22
to mduf...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
The file list is in //infra/archive_config/win-archive-rel.json

Michael Duffy

Sep 20, 2022, 6:51:55 PM9/20/22
to Chromium-dev, Michael Duffy
The answer was provided by Rob Rich at https://chromium.woolyss.com/

*************************************
try building this target:

autoninja -C out\Default mini_installer.exe

That builds an Windows installer executable and a compressed 7z file in the output directory.

The installer is silent, so click it and wait a few seconds to maybe a minute on slower systems for the install to complete.

Alternatively, the 7z archive can be uncompressed and run from whatever directory if desired.
*************************************

It would be good to add this information to the Chromium documentation.

If you Google on the phrase "autoninja -C out\Default mini_installer.exe" you literally get zero results.

Alesandro Ortiz

Nov 22, 2022, 7:23:10 PM11/22/22
to Chromium-dev, mduf...@gmail.com
>  It would be good to add this information to the Chromium documentation.

Agreed. I had previously found the mini_installer instructions in the cross-compilation docs: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/docs/win_cross.md#copying-and-running-chrome

Until I read this thread, I didn't realize it was also missing from the main Windows build docs at https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/docs/windows_build_instructions.md

Mike, if you'd like you can edit the docs here: https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:docs/windows_build_instructions.md (also see https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/contributing.md if first-time contributor). If no one updates the docs by next year, if I remember then, I'll submit a CL.

Regards,
Alesandro