16GB limit per chrome tab

Matej Jan

Feb 18, 2016, 5:41:50 PM2/18/16
to Chromium-dev
I am using Chrome on CentOS 7 and when the process in a tab reaches 16GB (as observed with 'top') the tab crashes and the terminal writes

#
# Fatal error in heap setup
# Allocation failed - process out of memory
#

This question is very similar to this older thread about the 4GB limit, however the 32bit ints cannot be the limit any more since the crash happens at 16GB. I am running a huge 3D visualization on a video wall and the amount of data visualized needs to go above 16GB (our machine has 128GB of RAM).

I tried running chrome/V8 with the flags:

google-chrome --js-flags="--max_old_space_size=32768"

but that hasn't prevented this error from happening.

The same webpage opened with Firefox is able to go above 16GB (I've tested it up to 40GB), so I imagine it's not a system (CentOS 7) problem, but chrome.

Are there any other flags I should try out? Thanks.

Ilja Friedel

Feb 18, 2016, 6:38:32 PM2/18/16
to zxr...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
You can recompile Chromium with these values changed:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/content/common/sandbox_linux/sandbox_linux.cc&l=393

If you don't use the browser for anything but visualizing local data you can also try --no-sandbox. Obviously I wouldn't want to use that in the wild.

Peter Kasting

Feb 18, 2016, 7:02:11 PM2/18/16
to Ilja Friedel, zxr...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM, 'Ilja Friedel' via Chromium-dev <chromi...@chromium.org> wrote:

Hmmm.  If 16 GB is low enough that real, even exceptional, use bumps into this, and other browsers can support larger address spaces, is there a way we can achieve the goals of that line with a larger limit, or in some other way that doesn't impact this?

Perhaps there should be a bug on this.

PK

Matej Jan

Feb 18, 2016, 7:20:56 PM2/18/16
to Chromium-dev, zxr...@gmail.com

If you don't use the browser for anything but visualizing local data you can also try --no-sandbox. Obviously I wouldn't want to use that in the wild.

Thank you so much! --no-sandbox did exactly what I was looking for (we are running in a closed environment so sandboxing is not necessary). The process is now able to go above 16GB, thanks!