İlk okunmamış mesaja atla

Aaron Boodman

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:23:055.04.2012
alıcı Chromium-dev
The evidence seems to say that it isn't important, since it doesn't
start up reliably anymore (at least on Linux).

- a

Scott Graham

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:24:475.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
I use it all the time on Windows. Please don't go out of your way to kill it.

- a

Peter Kasting

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:25:445.04.2012
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
The evidence seems to say that it isn't important, since it doesn't
start up reliably anymore (at least on Linux).

I still use this on Windows for various kinds of debugging.  I would prefer not to kill it.

PK

Rachel Blum

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:25:595.04.2012
alıcı sco...@chromium.org, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
Use it all the time to debug on OSX. So +1 on the "please don't kill unless you have to".

Rachel

John Abd-El-Malek

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:34:255.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
This is used on Android now for WebView.

I think it's time we add automated tests for it though.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:

Michael Nordman

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:35:115.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Jonathan Dixon, Andrei Popescu
You might want to ping joth and andreip about this too.

Justin Schuh

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:36:465.04.2012
alıcı gr...@chromium.org, sco...@chromium.org, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
This mode is absolutely essential to the security team's fuzzing work. Multi-process is too slow and eats up too much overhead on cluster-fuzz, and DRT doesn't exercise an identical stack. Killing this mode would basically cripple us.

-j

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Rachel Blum <gr...@chromium.org> wrote:

Peter Kasting

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:38:155.04.2012
alıcı jabde...@google.com, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
This is used on Android now for WebView.

I think it's time we add automated tests for it though.

Wait, are you saying it's used in some user-exposed fashion?

--single-process is known to be seriously broken in major ways, which would be prohibitive to fix.  We should never ever be running this outside of debugging.

PK

Abhishek Arya

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:41:245.04.2012
alıcı jschuh...@google.com, gr...@chromium.org, sco...@chromium.org, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
All of our fuzzing bots in the security team are based on ASAN linux
builds and we have been reliably using the --single-process mode for a
long time. Please don't kill it.

Cheers,
Abhishek

Gavin Peters (蓋文彼德斯)

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 15:42:115.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
I have been using it daily for debugging for ages.  When did it break for you?  I last pulled to trunk a few days ago and I've done a lot of debugging in it since then.

Please leave it in.  If I see the same problems, I may well go ahead and fix it.  I bet others would do the same.

- Gavin

- a

Tom Hudson

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:00:255.04.2012
alıcı gav...@google.com, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev, Ben Wagner
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Gavin Peters (蓋文彼德斯) <gav...@google.com> wrote:
I have been using it daily for debugging for ages.  When did it break for you?  I last pulled to trunk a few days ago and I've done a lot of debugging in it since then.

Please leave it in.  If I see the same problems, I may well go ahead and fix it.  I bet others would do the same.

For some time now, my team has had to hack child_process_sandbox_support_linux.cc locally to get Linux debugging to work (otherwise chrome hangs in gdb).
+bungeman for the fix.

Tom

John Abd-El-Malek

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:06:235.04.2012
alıcı Peter Kasting, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Peter Kasting <pkas...@chromium.org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
This is used on Android now for WebView.

I think it's time we add automated tests for it though.

Wait, are you saying it's used in some user-exposed fashion?

--single-process is known to be seriously broken in major ways, which would be prohibitive to fix.

Now that it's needed (there's been a long discussion about this, but it was pre-release so it wasn't public), people are working on fixing these issues. i.e. the in process webkit stuff doesn't work, and people are working on implementing indexeddb/domstorage in a way that doesn't need to run webkit a second time on a different thread.

Peter Kasting

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:11:505.04.2012
alıcı John Abd-El-Malek, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
Wow.  OK.  That's still very scary to me, as the entire core of Chrome was built for many years without making this stuff work correctly.  I understand you're working on the known problems, but I'd still be very afraid of the unknown issues here.  There's a ton of complexity that has never been tested with this.

Good luck, I guess...

PK

Darin Fisher

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:13:485.04.2012
alıcı pkas...@google.com, John Abd-El-Malek, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
Yeah, like shutdown is not implemented properly at all.  There are a lot of shutdown races which leads to crashes, dead-locks, etc. at shutdown time.  This is probably the hard part of getting single process mode to work properly.

-Darin

PK

Aaron Boodman

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:17:065.04.2012
alıcı John Abd-El-Malek, Peter Kasting, Chromium-dev
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, John Abd-El-Malek

What is the state of the world wrt in-process-webkit? The reason this
came up for me was that I was assigned a bug where the utility thread
is crashing in single process mode because it tries to access
webKitPlatformSupport() which is never initialized.

- a

Darin Fisher

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:22:255.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, John Abd-El-Malek, Peter Kasting, Chromium-dev
I thought the utility thread wasn't run in single process mode.  If that has
changed, then a quick fix would be to disable WebKit usage for the utility
thread when we are in single process mode.  Just fail the incoming IPCs.

The rewrite for IDB is forthcoming.  I think the domstorage backend has
already been switched to not use WebKit.

-Darin

Michael Nordman

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:34:465.04.2012
alıcı a...@google.com, da...@google.com, John Abd-El-Malek, Peter Kasting, Chromium-dev, Joshua Bell

+1 just fail if invoked in single-process

> The rewrite for IDB is forthcoming.  I think the domstorage backend has
> already been switched to not use WebKit.

IDB.next, an impl that doesn't rely on in-process-webkit and
complicated webcore classes in the main browser process, is a ways out
yet. Hasn't been started even, just a twinkle in the eye... but it is
on deck to get underway this quarter. The change to get off of
in-process-webkit for dom_storage is working its way thru the commitQ
now.

Aaron Boodman

okunmadı,
5 Nis 2012 16:53:465.04.2012
alıcı Michael Nordman, da...@google.com, John Abd-El-Malek, Peter Kasting, Chromium-dev, Joshua Bell

Here's the bug: crbug.com/122025

Looking at the stack more closely, Darin is right that the
UtilityThread is never created. However code inside webkit/glue
assumes that webKitPlatformSupport is initialized.

- a

İleti silindi

Elliot Poger

okunmadı,
24 Nis 2012 13:11:1224.04.2012
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
The evidence seems to say that it isn't important, since it doesn't
start up reliably anymore (at least on Linux).

Here's the bug tracking that failure, including a workaround patch...

http://crbug.com/123977 ('Debug build of Chromium does not work with --single-process')

Randy Smith

okunmadı,
7 May 2012 19:04:507.05.2012
alıcı jabde...@google.com, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com, Chromium-dev
Given that we're trying to productize this: I'm running into a problem with --single-process where it appears that lookups of BrowserContexts through RenderViewHostImpl::FromID() can get confused between incognito and non-incognito profiles.  I'm working around the problem (--single_process for the win, but you gotta be careful with that shift key :-}), so it's not a big deal for me.  But if it has larger relevance, I'll put the effort into coming up with a reproducible use case and file a bug.  Is this a known problem that's being worked on (or alternatively, known not to be relevant for the productization effort) or should I try to put together that bug report?

-- Randy

 We should never ever be running this outside of debugging.

PK

Martin Kosiba

okunmadı,
8 May 2012 06:18:108.05.2012
alıcı Chromium-dev, Randy Smith, jabde...@google.com, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com

On May 7, 7:04 pm, Randy Smith <rds...@google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <jabde...@google.com>wrote:

> >> Wait, are you saying it's used in some user-exposed fashion?
>
> >> --single-process is known to be seriously broken in major ways, which
> >> would be prohibitive to fix.
>
> > Now that it's needed (there's been a long discussion about this, but it
> > was pre-release so it wasn't public), people are working on fixing these
> > issues. i.e. the in process webkit stuff doesn't work, and people are
> > working on implementing indexeddb/domstorage in a way that doesn't need to
> > run webkit a second time on a different thread.
>
> Given that we're trying to productize this: I'm running into a problem with
> --single-process where it appears that lookups of BrowserContexts through
> RenderViewHostImpl::FromID() can get confused between incognito and
> non-incognito profiles.  I'm working around the problem (--single_process
> for the win, but you gotta be careful with that shift key :-}), so it's not
> a big deal for me.  But if it has larger relevance, I'll put the effort
> into coming up with a reproducible use case and file a bug.  Is this a
> known problem that's being worked on (or alternatively, known not to be
> relevant for the productization effort) or should I try to put together
> that bug report?

This is a constraint of the current architecture - there is one
profile per renderer process,
so in single process mode you get only one profile.
I don't think it's worth coming up with a repro or anything - this
seems to be a well-known
issue. Feel free to open a bug for tracking this, though it'll
probably get closed as won't fix.

Jeff Timanus

okunmadı,
16 Ağu 2012 15:29:2716.08.2012
alıcı mko...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Randy Smith, jabde...@google.com, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com
Reviving an old thread.  Is it now time to permanently kill --single-process?  It is totally broken for me in debug as of recent changes.

On windows (svn@151898) and linux (svn@151782), on totally fresh profiles and with no changes present, I get the following assert when navigating away from the new tab page when running --single-process.

[25020:25020:1469260864746:FATAL:frame_navigation_state.cc(198)] Check failed: frame_state_map_.find(frame_id) != frame_state_map_.end().
Backtrace:
base::debug::StackTrace::StackTrace() [0x7f3ac8b83736]
logging::LogMessage::~LogMessage() [0x7f3ac8baadd3]
extensions::FrameNavigationState::SetIsServerRedirected() [0x7f3ac72994c5]
extensions::WebNavigationTabObserver::Observe() [0x7f3ac70beb28]
NotificationServiceImpl::Notify() [0x7f3ac7e4c923]
content::(anonymous namespace)::NotifyOnUI<>() [0x7f3ac7eeb261]
base::internal::RunnableAdapter<>::Run() [0x7f3ac7ef8f81]
base::internal::InvokeHelper<>::MakeItSo() [0x7f3ac7ef6bd9]
base::internal::Invoker<>::Run() [0x7f3ac7ef38b5]
base::Callback<>::Run() [0x7f3ac63488a9]
MessageLoop::RunTask() [0x7f3ac8bb0022]
MessageLoop::DeferOrRunPendingTask() [0x7f3ac8bb013a]
MessageLoop::DoWork() [0x7f3ac8bb0955]
base::MessagePumpGlib::HandleDispatch() [0x7f3ac8c33e79]
(anonymous namespace)::WorkSourceDispatch() [0x7f3ac8c33593]
0x7f3ac40c08c2
0x7f3ac40c4748
0x7f3ac40c48fc
base::MessagePumpGlib::RunWithDispatcher() [0x7f3ac8c33b28]
base::MessagePumpGlib::Run() [0x7f3ac8c33f56]
MessageLoop::RunInternal() [0x7f3ac8bafce7]
MessageLoop::RunHandler() [0x7f3ac8bafb9e]
base::RunLoop::Run() [0x7f3ac8bd8f4e]
ChromeBrowserMainParts::MainMessageLoopRun() [0x7f3ac6d4198d]
content::BrowserMainLoop::RunMainMessageLoopParts() [0x7f3ac7d8b1bd]
(anonymous namespace)::BrowserMainRunnerImpl::Run() [0x7f3ac7f8052a]
BrowserMain() [0x7f3aca6c6bf4]
content::RunNamedProcessTypeMain() [0x7f3ac93af18e]
content::ContentMainRunnerImpl::Run() [0x7f3ac93aff18]
content::ContentMain() [0x7f3ac93ae7f5]
ChromeMain [0x7f3ac61ff73d]
main [0x7f3ac61ff6fc]
0x7f3abe44cc4d
0x7f3ac61ff609

Trace/breakpoint trap

Jeff
--
Software Developer
Google Canada

Dana Jansens

okunmadı,
16 Ağu 2012 15:52:5916.08.2012
alıcı tw...@chromium.org, mko...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Randy Smith, jabde...@google.com, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com
Should we have at least one bot for --single-process if we want to
maintain it at all?

John Abd-El-Malek

okunmadı,
16 Ağu 2012 16:09:5116.08.2012
alıcı Dana Jansens, tw...@chromium.org, mko...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev, Randy Smith, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com
regarding killing it: no, per all the other emails on this subject
regarding bot: it seems the quickest thing would be to add a browser_tests that adds the --single-process flag and checks a simple page loads. i'm wary of adding yet another bot that runs through all the browser_tests in single process mode because that effectively doubles the number of tests we run.

Samuel

okunmadı,
11 Ara 2012 03:30:1911.12.2012
alıcı chromi...@chromium.org, Dana Jansens, tw...@chromium.org, mko...@chromium.org, Randy Smith, Peter Kasting, a...@google.com
Looks --single-process is broken recently.  I searched crbug, found a related open ticket http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=164330
Just confirm I observed same issue from 7/Dec 25.0.1349.2 build, no matter release or debug build. content_shell is fine.

BTW, #
164330 is not confirmed yet, although it does exist.

Samuel
Tümünü yanıtla
Yazarı yanıtla
Yönlendir