We did it! NotificationService is no more! (⚠️ Not web notifications; they’re fine ⚠️)

Avi Drissman

Jul 24, 2024, 12:56:15 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to Chromium-dev
⚠️ This is about NotificationService, a piece of deprecated machinery inside of Chromium. This has nothing to do with the web feature of "notifications," which still works as well as it always has. ⚠️

When Chromium started as a project in the mid 2000s, we had lots of ideas about how to build it, some good, some bad. One of the bad ideas turned out to be NotificationService, which was a huge singleton that caused dependency issues. By 2013, we decided that it should be removed.

More than a decade later, many hundreds of commits later, and through the combined efforts of many dozens of committers, we have just removed the NotificationService's last usage and NotificationService itself.

I wish I could provide a comprehensive list to give credit by name to everyone who helped, but any attempt to put together a list would invariably omit someone. If you want to see what kind of effort it took, see the 200+ comments on the main bug, and follow the recursive dependencies of its 37 blocker bugs.

It's been a long journey, but I'm so proud of the Chromium community for coming together to accomplish this. We've shown that we can remove the legacy-est of legacy code, and by doing so improve the state of the Chromium code base for everyone.

To code health!

Avi

danakj

Jul 24, 2024, 1:01:24 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Wow, I was not sure if I would see this day come. Some parts of that removal were very challenging. Well done to everyone involved!

Reilly Grant

Jul 24, 2024, 1:27:10 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to dan...@chromium.org, a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Congratulations! 🎉
Reilly Grant | Software Engineer | rei...@chromium.org | Google Chrome

Erik Chen

Jul 24, 2024, 8:03:28 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to rei...@chromium.org, dan...@chromium.org, a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev

Greg Thompson

Jul 25, 2024, 9:22:10 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to erik...@chromium.org, rei...@chromium.org, dan...@chromium.org, a...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
Wow! Congratulations.

Any volunteers to get rid of base::Singleton? :-)

Avi Drissman

Jul 25, 2024, 11:12:54 AM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to Greg Thompson, erik...@chromium.org, rei...@chromium.org, dan...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 9:20 AM Greg Thompson <g...@chromium.org> wrote:
Any volunteers to get rid of base::Singleton? :-)

Only if we get rid of base::LazyInstance too.